Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My whole breast hurt why??

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 7 Replies
My baby girl is 5 weeks old. My whole breast hurt in an ache kind of way. The only thing I can compare it to is how they felt in the beginning of my pregnancy but worse. Why is this happening?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
WHITELIGHTJENNY
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM
This could be several things, your period starting back up, mastitis, which is an infection of thw breast when a milk duct gets clogged, or just soreness, massaging it always helped me
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Are they hard?
sweet_ashes2209
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM
only when I'm engorged in the mornings.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Are they hard?

sweet_ashes2209
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM
No period yet. If its mastitis what do I do? If it's just soreness how long till it goes away? I have one of those rice packs you heat up and it seems to help some.

Quoting WHITELIGHTJENNY:

This could be several things, your period starting back up, mastitis, which is an infection of thw breast when a milk duct gets clogged, or just soreness, massaging it always helped me

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM
It sounds like a plugged duct. You need to nurse constantly. Use warm compresses then massage toward the nipple. Dangle nursing helps as well.
If you develop a fever and the breast has red streaks, it has turned into mastitis and you may need antibiotics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet_ashes2209
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Ok I will try that but for now no fever or redness. Shouldn't it just hurt in the spot were the plugged duct is not the whole breast? I feel so lost I never had issues nursing my first.

Quoting aehanrahan:

It sounds like a plugged duct. You need to nurse constantly. Use warm compresses then massage toward the nipple. Dangle nursing helps as well.

If you develop a fever and the breast has red streaks, it has turned into mastitis and you may need antibiotics.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM
We have seen many moms here with plugged ducts and pain in the whole (or part of) breast. The pain isn't always just localized to the specific spot.
This article has a lot of information and tips to treat the clog.
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)