Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stomach virus and nursing

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 6 Replies
My husband is currently quarantined to our bedroom/bathroom due to stomach virus. We have had successful quarantines and no one else got it. I pray that happens again.

My baby wil be 7 weeks on Thursday. Everything I've read says to continue nursing. The lactation consultant told me a few weeks ago that should I get sick to continue nursing. My older kids had bronchitis at the time.

Anyone ever had the stomach virus while nursing, especially newborns? Im trying to prepare myself should I get sick. Any tips or advice is welcomed!
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I nursed my newbie when I had a stomach virus and he didn't get it. Just try and keep yourself hydrated if it hits.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I thought I had a stomach virus... kept nursing. Turned out it was gallstones, though.

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Kind of. I just had it this past weekend and continued to nurse my almost 5 month old. He was fine and so far hasn't caught it (knocking on wood).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Yes. Got it when John was a few weeks old. I remember sitting on the toilet having diarrhea, a bowl in my lap, vomiting- & John stayed latched on happily nursing. It was awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovinmybabas
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM
I nursed my ten month old while having a stomach bug. I couldn't even move or I would vomit. My dh would bring my dd in only to nurse and then he would take her. I laid in bed for 24 hours. It's so awesome that breast milk will provide antibodies so that babies are less likely to get the sickness. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:55 AM
you definitely can nurse while sick!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)