Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help Newbies Out.. :)

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this
Leave your biggest tip (one tip per comment) for moms about to or just starting to breastfeed.

:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama110981
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Nipple cream! Ur new best friend!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
birdiemom
by Allison on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Pay no attention to the clocks!!
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM
giving bottle only prolongs the clusterfeedings!!
MDWife12
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this
Your body is designed to make the perfect food for the baby, if you have enough wet diapers during the day then relax! Don't try to use the pump as an indicator of how much milk you are making - not everyone responds well to a pump, if your baby has enough wet diapers and is happy then he/she is fine. Some babies are slow with weight gain and that is OKAY. Those charts that the doctors use go off of formula fed babies NOT breastfed babies :). If your baby spits up a lot cut stuff out of YOUR diet - like milk - there is not need to start giving formula. Feed on DEMAND. The more demanded the more you supply, every time you give the baby a bottle or pacifier you are just going to mess with your supply. I said it before and I will say it again YOUR BODY IS DESIGNED TO MAKE THE PERFECT FOOD FOR THE BABY, LISTEN TO YOUR BABY IF THEY HAVE ENOUGH WET DIAPERS AND ARE HAPPY THAN YOU ARE FINE. YOUR BABY KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HE/SHE NEEDS AND YOUR BODY WILL ADJUST TO GIVE THE BABY EXACTLY WHAT HE/SHE NEEDS. THe first couple weeks suck, no matter if the latch is good or not - they SUCK.
SadieJames
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Education.  If you don't know something or some piece of advice seems wrong LOOK IT UP.  The womanly art of breastfeeding, So that's what they're for, LLLi, kellymom and this group are excellent resources.  People may give you advice on what worked for them but it might not be the best practice.

gumeshoe
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

If it feels wrong, hurts, whatever relatch. The baby will not get miffed. LO's 1st tooth is coming in and we played the latch relatch game for 2 days to figure that out.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Throw away your clocks. lol Just count diapers, nothing else.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Educate your self and relax! Most mom's are so stressed over timing feedings and counting diapers. I did not do either. Just feed on demand. If it hurts unlatch and try again or a different position (we did football hold for a month due to sore nipples). Take advice with a smile (from all the people who never bf or have no children lol) and use what you can and forget what you dont. ENJOY your baby, they grow fast.

CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Skin-to-skin contact helps baby grow. I spent LOTS of time with both of mine laying on my belly either naked or in just a diaper. My 23yo is now 6'5". lol My 20mo is looks petite, but she's also tall for her age. All that skin-to-skin contact also helps with brain growth and a general sense of closeness.
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Most drs get a 1 hr class on bfing and literally have no clue. Take their nutritional   advice sparingly . 

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN