Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help me please!!!

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM
  • 10 Replies
My son is 3 weeks old and for the last 24 hours has been extremely fussy and cranky. And when I say extreme I mean EXTREME. I've barely slept, I'm exhausted, and in need of advice. He had a growth spurt about a week ago and we made it through that fine he just wanted to nurse more often and that was fine but now it seems like he us nursing every hour just because. I'm pretty sure he has a tummy ache and he is pretty gassy but now I can hear his tummy rumble :-/ I'm worried because i dont know if its gas or if its that he is still hungry or isn't getting enough but I'm not sure and I don't want to supplement at all. I'm even leaning towards colic maybe? It's 4:54 am and I have still not been to sleep as he won't be quiet for more than 30 mins. Any advice ladies ??? (By the way he is wetting diapers and has dirty diapers ) I just want to see what I can do to make sure 1) he is getting enough and 2) that I can make him comfy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM
It's another growth spurt. The first month is like a constant spurt. There's one around 2 weeks and three weeks. Colic is crying for 3 consecutive hours, 3 days a week for three weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Is his tummy hard? How is your let down? Fast. Or slow?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsNeene
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Quoting piwife:

His tummy is hard. I can hear his gas its very loud and I can hear when he dirties his diaper. He is my 3rd baby so I know its normal to hear it but I mean its extremely loud.

I just googled over active letdown I'm still kind of confused. I just kinda squeezed my nipple a bit and milk shot out like kinda towards the other side of room so its fast. I breastfeed my last baby and I never really even knew anything about a letdown. I don't really feel it unless I'm engorged I guess. I just put him to breast he latched and it all worked out so I didn't do too much research I just did what felt natural to baby and me. But with this baby he will latch and stop sucking after a min or so and I have to keep trying to make him suck. He won't unlatch but he simply stops sucking every minute. It's alot harder to get him to nurse. Could that be because my milk is coming out too fast? (Sorry for all the questions I'm just confused. It's hard when my previous breastfeeding experience was so great and now this one is so hard)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM
I've said it a million times, I'd rather snuggle a honey badger than a 3 week-old. With all 4 if my babies, 3 weeks was our lowest of lows. New mama high is replaced by sleep deprivation, at the same time sweet baby turns into a seemingly insatiable beast.

If you're getting 6 diapers, than baby is getting enough milk. By far, the biggest contributor to cranky gassy babies is mom having oversupply and fast letdown. How are you doing on these points?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Definitely the 3 week growth spurt! Take a look at this page (sorry it's not clicky, I'm mobile). It tell yous everything you need to know about forceful letdown and oversupply, symptoms and how to "fix" it!
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Sounds like it's still a growth spurt. I remember that 3 week one & as a first time mom I was like "what the hell is going on?" lol. That one is the hardest, I promise. Just keep nursing on demand & try to rest inbetween. It should be over soon. Good luck momma & your doing a great job :)

asaffell
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

3 weeks is the growth spurt from hell, mama. Just nap and nurse and try to stay sane.

piwife
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
K so his tummy is hard. ( not good) we need baby to have soft squissy belly. Massage his tummy, bycycle his legs. Also it sounds to me like you have overactive let down, that in itself willl cause gas. Google laid back nursing also before nursing express a lil into a towel to trigger the let down ( just by hand)

Quoting MsNeene:

Quoting piwife:

His tummy is hard. I can hear his gas its very loud and I can hear when he dirties his diaper. He is my 3rd baby so I know its normal to hear it but I mean its extremely loud.

I just googled over active letdown I'm still kind of confused. I just kinda squeezed my nipple a bit and milk shot out like kinda towards the other side of room so its fast. I breastfeed my last baby and I never really even knew anything about a letdown. I don't really feel it unless I'm engorged I guess. I just put him to breast he latched and it all worked out so I didn't do too much research I just did what felt natural to baby and me. But with this baby he will latch and stop sucking after a min or so and I have to keep trying to make him suck. He won't unlatch but he simply stops sucking every minute. It's alot harder to get him to nurse. Could that be because my milk is coming out too fast? (Sorry for all the questions I'm just confused. It's hard when my previous breastfeeding experience was so great and now this one is so hard)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM
ALL OF THIS!!!
Growth spurts can be very frequent in the first few months. They were weekly with my second. I call it constant growth spurt mode. As Stacy said, three weeks can be the worst of the spurts. It is also around the time when overactive letdown tends to start making babies miserable. The article linked above has all of the best tips and tricks to help.
Quoting mostlymaydays:

I've said it a million times, I'd rather snuggle a honey badger than a 3 week-old. With all 4 if my babies, 3 weeks was our lowest of lows. New mama high is replaced by sleep deprivation, at the same time sweet baby turns into a seemingly insatiable beast.

If you're getting 6 diapers, than baby is getting enough milk. By far, the biggest contributor to cranky gassy babies is mom having oversupply and fast letdown. How are you doing on these points?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ellieb3
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but around 2-4 weeks I started noticing green stools, along with the other symptoms you described (gassy, eating constantly, fussy, etc).  I called some lactation consultants and we guessed at (since, really it's always a guess) a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.  Basically he was getting all foremilk and not enough fat.  What I did was feed him from one side at each feeding.  The change in him happened very quickly, within a day or two I think my supply was where he needed it, and I was back to feeding off of both sides.  Perhaps you could call someone who is certified and see what they think, since you don't want to decrease your supply accidenly if that is not what it is?   Good Luck, I remember how stressful that time was!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)