Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I have the most eager boobies in the WORLD! Am I doing this right?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

okay ladies, Im going to give you a timeline of how IM doing my block feeding so you can tell me if IM doing it correctly. My supply just doesnt seem to be lessening. After a 12 hour block, the breast Im not using is super engorged! I know I can express a little and I do, (for about 20-30 seconds) but shouldn't it be getting to the point where the unused boob isnt so full? Ive been doing about 12 hour blocks since last Friday. I use one boob starting in the morning, till about 8 pm. THen I switch for the last feeding of the day. So basically, one breast from 8 am-10 pm and the other for the night feedings. Its roughly 12 hours per breast. No matter what, the breast IM not using gets so full I cant stand it. Am I doing this right?

actually I take that back, I was doing 6 hour bloccks till about Tuesday...then I switched to 12 hour blocks. Sorry about the confusion....lack of sleep means lack of memory. .

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ptitchou
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Yep. Sounds like it. Oversupply is a beast to get over. People often don't understand. Hand in there. It DOES get easier.

And I pumped the engorged one for a few minutes. Yes, you want to avoid over pumping, but you also want to avoid plugged ducts.

There is a more aggressive way to deal...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Alli on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Good lord! I imagine its as big of a problem as not making enough milk. :-/ I will pummp for a lil bit longer then because I DONT want a clogged duct. Thnk you! What is the more aggressive way to deal??? FIll me in? I heard about peppermint tea...

Quoting Ptitchou:

Yep. Sounds like it. Oversupply is a beast to get over. People often don't understand. Hand in there. It DOES get easier.

And I pumped the engorged one for a few minutes. Yes, you want to avoid over pumping, but you also want to avoid plugged ducts.

Ptitchou
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM
How old is baby? I haven't resorted to slowing my supply with supplements. I do avoid galactogogues.

Quoting amc103:

Good lord! I imagine its as big of a problem as not making enough milk. :-/ I will pummp for a lil bit longer then because I DONT want a clogged duct. Thnk you! What is the more aggressive way to deal??? FIll me in? I heard about peppermint tea...

Quoting Ptitchou:

Ptitchou
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Here's a link about the other way to slow supply:

http://attachmentparenting.org/blog/2012/06/12/fighting-the-battle-against-oversupply/
amc103
by Alli on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM

He's 5 weeks today. :-) Thanks for the info about the other way to slow supply...I think I read about that somewhere recently, but thought to myself..I wont need to go that far....but maybe I do! If things haven't gotten noticeably better by next week, then I might do that, thank you! What are galactogogues???? Holy moly I had to make sure I spelled it right! LOL!

Quoting Ptitchou:

How old is baby? I haven't resorted to slowing my supply with supplements. I do avoid galactogogues.

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ptitchou:

Ptitchou
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Galactogogues are things that naturally (or medicinally) up your production. Like oatmeal, some spices, etc. :)

Quoting amc103:

He's 5 weeks today. :-) Thanks for the info about the other way to slow supply...I think I read about that somewhere recently, but thought to myself..I wont need to go that far....but maybe I do! If things haven't gotten noticeably better by next week, then I might do that, thank you! What are galactogogues???? Holy moly I had to make sure I spelled it right! LOL!

Quoting Ptitchou:

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ptitchou:

Ptitchou
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:24 AM
They say 12 weeks is the magical time that milk regulates. My oversupply has greatly improved with no crazy processes to do so.

I'm still needing to wear the blasted breast pads. Ahhhh!!! I hate them!

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ptitchou:

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ptitchou:

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Thats good news! I hope mine does the same! Yeah, the damn breastpads...grrr. I hate how much I leak! And they say to leave your shirt and bra off to air dry your nipples when they are cracked? Yeah, my flooring is covered with BM. Yuk! I told hubbs this morning to pick me up another box of breast pads and he was like, "already???" LOL!

Quoting Ptitchou:

They say 12 weeks is the magical time that milk regulates. My oversupply has greatly improved with no crazy processes to do so.

I'm still needing to wear the blasted breast pads. Ahhhh!!! I hate them!

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ptitchou:

Quoting amc103:

Quoting Ptitchou:

TRS4
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:00 AM

it seems to me would be best just tosimply switch breast for every feeding ur breast would not beasked hold enough milk for a 12 hr pirod and would be less painful

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 11, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Thank you! I appreciate the idea, but my OAL and oversupply is so bad that switching breasts fr every feed isnt enough of a signal to them to slow down. I started out by trying to just use one breast per feeding. It sucks that I get so engorged doing the 12 hour blocks, but Im hoping it starts to signal to them to cut it out and slow down the milk production, you know? Thats the idea anyway, lol! We'll see if it happens. :-) Wish me luck!

Quoting TRS4:

it seems to me would be best just tosimply switch breast for every feeding ur breast would not beasked hold enough milk for a 12 hr pirod and would be less painful

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN