Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Virgin gut and gas drops/gripe water

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM
  • 8 Replies
How do gas drops or gripe water effect the virgin gut?
Are these products safe to use with a newborn?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM
They ruin the virgin gut. Usually if there is enough of a gas problem that you feel like you need to use medicine, there is an underlying issue. What's happening?
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Can you show me studies on how the gas drops ruin the virgin gut?  I found a few articles that suggest otherwise.  

Quoting ceckyl:

They ruin the virgin gut. Usually if there is enough of a gas problem that you feel like you need to use medicine, there is an underlying issue. What's happening?

cemcnair
by Courtney on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
With my first, I didn't know anything about virgin gut. The only thing he ever had was breastmilk and gas drops for eight months (still nursing now at 2.5, but started solids about 8 months old), but we used the gas drops when he was uncomfortable and crying (if the bicycle leg thing didn't work).
This baby also has bouts of gassiness (nothing excessive, normal baby gassiness IMO). But dh wanted to give him gas drops the other night because he was having trouble staying asleep because of the gas in his tummy.
I told dh I wanted to look into how safe it was first because I wasn't sure if indeed we should have ever used it with our first.
Now that I know about virgin guy, I want to make sure to protect it.
I got some gripe water today (organic), because I thought it might be better than the chemical gas drops. But, I still wanted some more information.
Thank you for responding :)

Quoting ceckyl:

ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a little busy right now, but I know kellymom has info in it. Anything ingested aside from breast milk interferes with the virgin gut. Anything at all.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Can you show me studies on how the gas drops ruin the virgin gut?  I found a few articles that suggest otherwise.  

Quoting ceckyl:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM
My doctor has ven suggested not giving Tylenol unless needed (so not giving before vaccines) to protect virgin gut.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Bump
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Normal baby gassiness? Wouldn't bother giving ANYTHING. I'd just rock and burp the baby.

Ptitchou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
If you're considering them, consider probiotics the solve the problem not just cover it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)