Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any of you on the depo and nursing??

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM
  • 11 Replies
Just got on the depo and I'm wondering if anyone has been on it notice a supply drop? How long did it take your milk to dry up..?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Depo os actually one of the ones that's supposed to be safe while nursing with no supply impact.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm on it currently. I only got one shot so far, but I haven't noticed any issue with supply. I got it on march 27th. It's not a long term option for birth control though. You're not supposed to use it for longer than 2 years. I got it as a temporary option until I could get the implant, implanon. There is no estrogen in either of them. Estrogen is the milk supply killer. Combination birth control pills are the enemy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leochanning2012
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM
I just got one it Tuesday and notice a huge drop in my supply my son turned one and well I was ready to wean him off.. I'm fully pumping but he's not tolerating regular milk that good :( so I'm starting to feel guilty

Quoting polkaspots:

I'm on it currently. I only got one shot so far, but I haven't noticed any issue with supply. I got it on march 27th. It's not a long term option for birth control though. You're not supposed to use it for longer than 2 years. I got it as a temporary option until I could get the implant, implanon. There is no estrogen in either of them. Estrogen is the milk supply killer. Combination birth control pills are the enemy.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM
What do you mean by regular milk?
And there is no estrogen in depo, so there is nothing in the shot to affect your milk. Has anything else changed?

Quoting Leochanning2012:

I just got one it Tuesday and notice a huge drop in my supply my son turned one and well I was ready to wean him off.. I'm fully pumping but he's not tolerating regular milk that good :( so I'm starting to feel guilty

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leochanning2012
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM
I started transitioning him to 2% milk last week and well he won't take it :( nothing else has changed

Quoting polkaspots:

What do you mean by regular milk?

And there is no estrogen in depo, so there is nothing in the shot to affect your milk. Has anything else changed?

Quoting Leochanning2012:

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Have you been pumping on schedule?
Why are you giving cow's milk? Are you trying to wean him yourself? How much food does he eat?
Quoting Leochanning2012:

Leochanning2012
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I've been pumping every three hours still and I'm bearly getting 3 ounces I used to get close to 9 I wanted to wean him off already but he doesn't eat solids yet and he just turned one! :( I've been trying to give him food and he refuses it.. So I've been pushing it more these past two weeks and still nothing he got really constipated with two percent milk so I'm trying the lactose.. I just feel really bad I should of waited and continued to breastfeed I am now working full time so it was getting hard for me to find time to pump..

Quoting polkaspots:

Have you been pumping on schedule?

Why are you giving cow's milk? Are you trying to wean him yourself? How much food does he eat?

Quoting Leochanning2012:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
you don't have to answer my questions, I just realized you said you are ready to wean. Drop a pumping session a week until you're not pumping anymore. If he doesn't take the cow's milk, give him something else to drink. Rice milk, coconut milk, water... And make up for the lack of breastmilk with food. Honestly, he does need something highly nutritious, because I highly doubt your one year old eats enough food on a daily basis to meet his needs. I know mine doesn't.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kona211
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I took the Depo shot for a year and it never effected my supply. I also have to agree with the pp that said at one year your LO probably isn't eating enough nutritious solids. Heck, I seriously question if my 15 month old does, which is one more reason I'm still pumping at work so dd can have my milk in a sippy cup while she is away from me. We are also still nursing when together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)