Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Just a cold?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 6 Replies
So for the past...3 or 4 days, my son has had a runny nose and a cough. I think the cough might be getting worse. I was putting him down for a nap and he pulled off and start coughing. He spat up a little and we had to sit him up cause that only made him cough harder. He turned really red and kept coughing. I think it last like a minute, maybe a few seconds less. I'm just starting to worry a bit cause with his last cold, he didn't have a cough. We take him back to the doctor on the 26th for a weight check but i'm not sure if we should wait that long.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM
He was probably choking from the nasal drainage. No need to take him in to the dr. They can't do anything for him anyway.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm a worry-wart so everytime he gets sick or gets a little boo boo I worry.

Quoting Junebaby18:

He was probably choking from the nasal drainage. No need to take him in to the dr. They can't do anything for him anyway.

CafeMom Tickers
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Quoting JenniferMiller0:

You're normal! I'm on my third kid and still worry about her occasionally. It's part of being a good mom. :-)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I was the same way at first.  The length of the coughing spell concerns me, though.  If he continues to cough like that or it gets worse, call your pedi and at least talk to the nurse and get her take on things.  Comfort measures: cool mist humidifier within 5 ft of his head while sleeping, prop crib mattress by putting pillows or books under the mattress, feed him in a more upright position.

If you see: retractions (abdomen/chest pulling in around ribs while breathing), nasal flaring, respiration rate higher than 60 breaths per minute, or any bluish tint to lips/fingernails, call right then even if it's after hours, or just head in to the ER.  This is the end of RSV season and while it's late for it, it's been a really bad year.  Hope your little guy is feeling better soon!

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm a worry-wart so everytime he gets sick or gets a little boo boo I worry.

Quoting Junebaby18:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I agree with Kate.
It could also be seasonal allergies if they run in your family. Both of my boys have bouts of congestion and coughing a few times throughout the year and it always gets better when I have them use the inhaler.

Quoting K8wizzo:

I was the same way at first.  The length of the coughing spell concerns me, though.  If he continues to cough like that or it gets worse, call your pedi and at least talk to the nurse and get her take on things.  Comfort measures: cool mist humidifier within 5 ft of his head while sleeping, prop crib mattress by putting pillows or books under the mattress, feed him in a more upright position.

If you see: retractions (abdomen/chest pulling in around ribs while breathing), nasal flaring, respiration rate higher than 60 breaths per minute, or any bluish tint to lips/fingernails, call right then even if it's after hours, or just head in to the ER.  This is the end of RSV season and while it's late for it, it's been a really bad year.  Hope your little guy is feeling better soon!

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting Junebaby18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Well, he seems to be doing a little bit better. He didn't wake up as often last night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)