Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

If you nurse on demand, can you overfeed?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 38 Replies
Meatball is 14 weeks tomorrow (3 months and 2 weeks) and he weights 16lbs 9oz. He's HUGE! Is it possible that he is overfed by feeding on demand? He does go to the sitter's during the week but only eats 5 ozs in a 6 hr period there. Thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Not from the breast. Sounds like he's just gonna be a big boy for now ;)
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I don't really think you can overfeed a bf baby.

They come in all shapes and sizes, don't worry. I had a really chunky monkey too :)

Megadot
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Sounds good to me. I dont think it is possible to overfeed and infant when nursing. They eat when they are hungry and with holding feeding is torture to you and the baby. some babies are just big and chunky babies are so cute!!! Good work Momma :)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Nope, most likely genetics and once baby hits toddler stage and start walking weight gain slows down a lot and they start thinning out. Dont stress about it :)
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Mine was a giant too. I was told that since I had a massive oversupply, and didn't know it at the time, that it was possible he learned to overeat at the breast...I made a post about it a whilr back entitled "Overfeeding the breastfed baby, impossible? Really?" or something similar...I will see if I can find the link.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM

If you feed on demand you can not overfeed.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I know I have an oversupply too. I pump 15 oz on average in the 6 hrs I'm away from him while he only eats 5oz and I'm still pretty full when we are reunited. But when we're together, I'm never full. Weird!

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Mine was a giant too. I was told that since I had a massive oversupply, and didn't know it at the time, that it was possible he learned to overeat at the breast...I made a post about it a whilr back entitled "Overfeeding the breastfed baby, impossible? Really?" or something similar...I will see if I can find the link.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I found it, basically it was said that if baby was allowed to properly regulate, it would be impossible to overfeed at the breast. Since I had OS and OAL, and did nothing to resolve those issues, DS wasn't allowed to regulate properly.

It was called "Really imppssible? (Overfeeding the breastfed baby)" My phone won't let me copy and paste the link.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Yea, I don't plan to do anything about my os since I donate too. How do you fix oal though?

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I found it, basically it was said that if baby was allowed to properly regulate, it would be impossible to overfeed at the breast. Since I had OS and OAL, and did nothing to resolve those issues, DS wasn't allowed to regulate properly.

It was called "Really imppssible? (Overfeeding the breastfed baby)" My phone won't let me copy and paste the link.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

MamaDee83
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

You can't overfeed if you nurse on demand. You can't overfeed when you breastfeed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN