Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I have a weird question....

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 24 Replies

My son is 2, and my breast milk just didnt last past 10wks... well... i am 28wks pregnant right now, and my 2 yr old has developed an interest in my breasts.... he will sit next to me and if i have cleavage, he will reach his arm up, and hook it around the top of the closest breast...also if he sees my breasts like in bed for example... i sleep with my husband and we sleep nude, but my son usually joins us in bed when he wakes up, and he plays with my nipples or he massages my breast. should i stop this behavior? he has tried liking it before too.... i am a little worried. i guess i wouldnt mind if he tried breast milk again... is that even an appropriate option?

JEEZ! lol this is turning into quite a weird question but what do i do with my 2 years old interest in my breasts? And what do i do when he sees the baby drinking from my breast? What if he wants to try too?! lol he will be 2.5yrs when the baby is born.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Starryeyez_01
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Are you lactating yet?

Lifeofpaine
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

eh... no. im only 28wks. if i squeeze my nipples, i get little dew drops, but thats it.  he just has an interest in my brests in general, hasnt tried any breast milk since 10wks

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
It would be fine for you to try and nurse him after baby arrives, but it will be really trying to get him latched and nursing properly, imo. I personally would stop him from playing with the nipples, because that is a behavior won't tolerate with my DS, even while he is nursing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
If you feel comfortable with it, there would be nothing wrong with letting him try to nurse after the baby is born. He may or may not remember how to latch at that point. There may be something in the nursing manners article at kellymom.com that addresses this issue.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

My son was 21 months old when the new baby was born.  He'd self weaned about 14 or 15 months old, probably due to my milk changing with the pregnancy.

Since baby's been nursing, my older son has certainly been interested in my breasts.  I know he can remember nursing, but he doesn't act like he wants to nurse...just likes watching baby do it.  (Plus he'll pat my upper chest and smile while his brother is eating).  It's sweet, but kind of sad, too...

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:27 AM
5 moms liked this
If he wants to nurse when you have the baby, you can allow him to try or not. It is up to you. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this. Many moms allow their toddlers to try again. Most of the time, they really just want to know that they CAN and don't really actually want to nurse. Or they try and can't latch anymore and don't ask again.
I would stop the grabbing of the breasts and playing with the nipples because it is something that I don't like and don't allow when my babies are nursing. If you don't mind, that's fine. He will eventually outgrow the obsession with the breasts. They're comfort for him even though he didn't nurse long. It is an instinctual thing for toddlers.

What made you think that your milk didn't last past 10 weeks? We can troubleshoot what happened last time to help you overcome the issues so you can be better prepared this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL... do men EVER outgrow their obsession with breasts?! :)

Kidding.

But, yeah, OP. If it were me, I would put a stop to the pawing and groping/playing with nipples... that's not something I can tolerate whatsoever. I guess if you don't mind... I don't know. I wouldn't like it :/

Nothing wrong with letting him try now or when your new milk comes... he may find it weird and not ask again... who knows till he tries :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

If he wants to nurse when you have the baby, you can allow him to try or not. It is up to you. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this. Many moms allow their toddlers to try again. Most of the time, they really just want to know that they CAN and don't really actually want to nurse. Or they try and can't latch anymore and don't ask again.

I would stop the grabbing of the breasts and playing with the nipples because it is something that I don't like and don't allow when my babies are nursing. If you don't mind, that's fine. He will eventually outgrow the obsession with the breasts. They're comfort for him even though he didn't nurse long. It is an instinctual thing for toddlers.

What made you think that your milk didn't last past 10 weeks? We can troubleshoot what happened last time to help you overcome the issues so you can be better prepared this time.

Lifeofpaine
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Last time my milk didnt last because at 6wks I had to suppliment... by 10wks he was only getting 1oz of BM to 9oz of formula.

It was all my fault :( when he was born I was SO completely enamored with him that I didnt sleep for 3 days (24 hours before he was born, the whole day he was born, and the day after) I look HORRIBLE in hospital pictures because the black under my eyes were SO big. I was eating well in the hospital, but I wasnt drinking hardly at all... THEN I get home, and didnt nap when he did, I wasnt eating (because I didnt want to put him down) and I wasnt drinking at all.... my body had NOTHING to turn into breast milk.... when I would skip a feeding and pump instead, I only got 1-2oz from both breast total. I never got engorged, I did this to myself... I tried mother milk, fenugreek, and a prescription... but now on hindsight... I see how I need to change things this time... but now I have anxiety.... I consider my last attempt a failure(I know some is better than none...) but I wanted to go to age 1-2 at least and i didnt even make it 3 months. This time i know where i made mistakes and plan to fix them but im afraid of failing again ya know?
Nananny
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
toddlers learn a lot thru their hands, they like to feel all sorts of txtures. if he likes to masage ur breast its ok but iI wouldnt let him play w my nipples. theres other things he can probably compare the texture of ur breast with, like water balloon, stress ball or one of those gel balls
imablowe
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM
So when you and your husband wake up in the morning and your son joins you are you both still naked? That is kinda awkward. I don't think allowing your son to have full access to your breasts in bed actually help nonetheless the rest of your body when you are laying near him naked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)