Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

blisters on lips?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 9 Replies
I'm a first time mom and have noticed small blister like bumps on my babys lips. She is five days old today. I am breastfeeding. Is this a nirmal thing? Sorry if this question has been asked before
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
vlough1
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I'm a first time mom as well! My son is 6 weeks and has the same thing going on. It was more noticeable in the first few weeks and has slowly started to disappear. He had an especially large blister on the pad at the top of the lips and every couple of days it would peel off. I worried that he was latching wrong or I was doing something to cause it, but everything I read said that it was very common and that it would go away on it's own. His lips still do look white and blistery after eating, but the large blister has stopped peeling and has disappeared.

Hope this helps you!

baby2013143
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Thank you. It helps a lot.

Quoting vlough1:

I'm a first time mom as well! My son is 6 weeks and has the same thing going on. It was more noticeable in the first few weeks and has slowly started to disappear. He had an especially large blister on the pad at the top of the lips and every couple of days it would peel off. I worried that he was latching wrong or I was doing something to cause it, but everything I read said that it was very common and that it would go away on it's own. His lips still do look white and blistery after eating, but the large blister has stopped peeling and has disappeared.

Hope this helps you!

bwsmommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM
from what i have learned they are nursing blisters .. its almost like toughing the lips up if that makes sense .. my ds is 3 months old and he still gets them when he goes through growth spurts and hes nursing more ..
LilMansMom105
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM

This is exactly what my pedi told me :)

Quoting bwsmommy:

from what i have learned they are nursing blisters .. its almost like toughing the lips up if that makes sense .. my ds is 3 months old and he still gets them when he goes through growth spurts and hes nursing more ..

bwsmommy
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
i asked in here and also at my lo's last appt .. i was kinda freaked out .. i knew they got them after birth for a few weeks .. but i was shocked to know they could get them as they got older ! but it does make sense ..

Quoting LilMansMom105:

This is exactly what my pedi told me :)

Quoting bwsmommy:

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM
My 18 month old still gets them when he goes back to nursing like crazy if he is sick or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Yep. They are called milk blisters and are totally normal.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM

My son had those too. I put lanolin on them (my nipple cream). I don't know if it helped, but it made me feel like I was doing something for them. They go away and don't hurt them.

baby2013143
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Thanks ladies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN