Well, what I already knew has been confirmed - ds2, 1 month old, has a significant lip tie. It's very thick and the ent we saw wants to cut it, but under general anesthesia in the OR. He said it definitely has several blood vessels and will bleed a lot, so he needs to do it where he can cauterize it. It will be a 5 minute procedure, so very short general anesthesia, but the main thing is the ability to cauterize.
Because I'm tandem nursing his older brother, my supply is plentiful and ds2 is gaining weight and height crazy fast. I don't bother counting diapers because he goes through PLENTY, LOL. He's starting to hold up his head and has a lot of alert awake time, so I know his nutrition is not being negatively affected. Thus far, the tie hasn't impaired that. His latch is also comfortable, though shallow and weak. He falls off easily and swallows a lot of air. He also has a hard time managing my fast letdown, though ds1 did, too, without a lip tie. He nurses, cries, burps, nurses, cries, burps. It's hard. But I don't know how much of that is from the tie and how much is from the fast letdown. I burp him several times through each nursing session and he always has big man burps and is starting to spit up more. I worry that when my supply regulates, his gain will take a downturn.
So here's the rub - ds2 is 1 month old. I initially wanted the clip done right away, like yesterday, but we will have to schedule it for a few weeks from now since they can't just do it in the office. If we do it before 3 months, they will keep him overnight for observation because of the general. I would, of course, stay with him. If we wait until after 3 months, it's a quick outpatient procedure, but he'll still be sedated. Either way, they'll sedate with gas.
My thought is to see if we can wait until 3 months to avoid staying in the hospital, the upheaval for ds1 (we bedshare, I nurse him to sleep and we've only spent the night apart the night ds2 was born) and exposure to all those germs as well as the significant difference in cost. Or is it worth it or time sensitive enough to just have it done ASAP? If we wait and try to get to 3 months, what should my markers be for pulling the plug and having it done sooner? Weight and diapers, obviously, right? What else? Any other factors I haven't considered?