Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feed my triplets 6 times a day (6:30am, 9, 11;30, 2p, 4:30 and 7) the go down for bed after 7 feeding so about 7:30 they are put down and usually asleep by 8.  They don't wake during the night.  We started solids 1 time a day right after 11:30 feeding.  In the last month my little girl only gained a few ounces, both boys each gained about a pound.  What else can I do to help my little gilr gain weight?  She has 6 to8 wet diapers and 1 dirty a day to every other day.  She is meeting her milestones too.  I don't want her labled failure to thrive and don't want to do formula or fortify BM, but I will fortify again if needed.  Any suggestions for how to make her gain so we don't have to fortify or be labled FTT?  Thanks for all help!

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
stayinhomemommy
by Heather on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Thanks

Quoting K8wizzo:

By the way.... you are doing an AMAZING job to be ebf-ing triplets. :)

stayinhomemommy
by Heather on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thanks.  I do feed/nurse RIGHT before the solids, I didn't think of offering again after.  I have also decided that if she isn't going to sleep in a timely manner for the night that I would nurse her to sleep, so maybe that would help. :)

Quoting K8wizzo:

In 7 months, she has gained 7.5 lbs from birthweight, likely closer to 8 from lowest weight.  That's within the 1 lb/month average so I wouldn't worry just yet but do keep an eye on it.  Maybe offer an extra session or two to her (perhaps one before and then again AFTER those solids).

Quoting stayinhomemommy:

We adjusted the feeding schedule from every 3 hours to every 2.5 so they could eat 6 times a day.  They do not act hungry inbetween feedings, but I do nurse them if they need an extra feeding, which has happened a few times but not many.  They are 7 months.  I do not remember every weight but here is what I do remember.  Birth weight 4lbs even, not sure of lowest.  by 2 months she was 6lbs+, at 6 months 11lbs 2 ounces, 7 months 11lbs 7.5ounces.  No problems with latch so I haven't really looked for a tie.  Also, we were at one point on a 4 hour feeding schedule, when they were eatting through the night, but they were getting hungry at the 3 hour point so that is when we change to the 3 hour schedule.  Again, they sleep from 8p to 6:15a and do not wake at night.  One boy did a few times about a month ago and I had to nurse him, but that has been it.  So I do listen my babies and adjust as needed.  Also, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but she has had bad allergies this week.  She took Claritin 2 times a day for 3 days then once a day for 3 days.  Today was the first day we didn't give it to her to see if she still needed it.  She has done great without it today.  She is sleeping very well.  They take 2 naps a day for 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the day and the nap time.

Quoting mamabens:

Did they set the schedule themselves? If not then that is probably your problem. How old are they? She may just be a small baby but we could use a weight history on her, birth, lowest, etc to now.  I know it may be easier to schedule being that there are three but a strict schedule is the ideal way to set a breastfed baby up for FTT.  Also I  may be wrong(depending on age) but 6 times a day doesn't sound like nearly enough feedings! Also has she been checked for tongue & lip ties?

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM
3 moms liked this

I would be labeling the dr as a failure and then finding a new one.  You're doing amazing with your triplets!! Keep on keeping on!  Remember 1lb/month AVERAGE from lowest weight is your target.  Charts are useless. 

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Agreed!! Way to go!

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I'm not sure you can really EXPECT a triplet to be on a chart. If they are great! If not oh well!

Quoting stayinhomemommy:

This dr, we had to switch from first ped whom I LOVED because I am separated from my hubby and living with my parents, wants her on the percentile charts.  She isn't even on the 1 percentile curve and I am not sure what chart she is using to be honest.  I would just feel like such a failure if any of my babies were labeled FTT.  Thanks! :)

Quoting mamabens:

I don't really see the issue then. She's gaining pretty good & just may be a peanut. Sounds to me like this is a dr problem(expecting too  much gain) not a baby or weight gain problem.

Quoting stayinhomemommy:

We adjusted the feeding schedule from every 3 hours to every 2.5 so they could eat 6 times a day.  They do not act hungry inbetween feedings, but I do nurse them if they need an extra feeding, which has happened a few times but not many.  They are 7 months.  I do not remember every weight but here is what I do remember.  Birth weight 4lbs even, not sure of lowest.  by 2 months she was 6lbs+, at 6 months 11lbs 2 ounces, 7 months 11lbs 7.5ounces.  No problems with latch so I haven't really looked for a tie.  Also, we were at one point on a 4 hour feeding schedule, when they were eatting through the night, but they were getting hungry at the 3 hour point so that is when we change to the 3 hour schedule.  Again, they sleep from 8p to 6:15a and do not wake at night.  One boy did a few times about a month ago and I had to nurse him, but that has been it.  So I do listen my babies and adjust as needed.  Also, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but she has had bad allergies this week.  She took Claritin 2 times a day for 3 days then once a day for 3 days.  Today was the first day we didn't give it to her to see if she still needed it.  She has done great without it today.  She is sleeping very well.  They take 2 naps a day for 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the day and the nap time.

Quoting mamabens:

Did they set the schedule themselves? If not then that is probably your problem. How old are they? She may just be a small baby but we could use a weight history on her, birth, lowest, etc to now.  I know it may be easier to schedule being that there are three but a strict schedule is the ideal way to set a breastfed baby up for FTT.  Also I  may be wrong(depending on age) but 6 times a day doesn't sound like nearly enough feedings! Also has she been checked for tongue & lip ties?

stayinhomemommy
by Heather on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, this does make me feel a little better.

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Wow! How amazing to breast feed triplets! Didn't know it would be possible! Just wanted to say good job, mama!
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM
this. I admire you, mama!

Quoting K8wizzo:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM
2 moms liked this

WHen a baby is born OFF the chart they are not going to miraculously be on the chart later..they should gain as expected and thats it..not gain compared to other babies.  Keep in mind 4lbs is AWESOME for triplets and since the normal gain is 1lb a month from lowest weight and your LO is over 7lbs from BIRTHWEIGHT, your LO is gaining perfect.  I know with triplets schedules are needed, but it wouldnt HURT to allow extra nursings even when they dont act hungry for comfort or just a bit extra milk.  I am so glad shes willing to go between bottle and breast so well too! WTG momma.  BTW WHO and CDC have charts you can print out yourself to chart your LOs growth..most likely the ped is not even using the right charts.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I think it's ridiculous that this doctor is expecting a preemie to be on the charts so soon. Most preemies don't make it onto the charts until closer to a year. I know mine didn't. And she is meeting the one pound per month minimum! And I wouldn't worry if her milestones are a bit off because you should always look at adjusted age.... not actual. Way to go momma!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)