Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Vitamin D Supplement??

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM
  • 11 Replies
Is it really needed? My DD is 6 weeks should I be giving it to her?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

You can, but it would be better to just spend 10-15 minutes a day outside. If you do decide to give the suppliment get it at the healthfood store, the kind with just vitamin d in it, NOT the vi sol junk the pedi's often reccomend. (those are made by formula companies & full of tons of artificial & unecessary junk)

BabyFruit Ticker

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I only do vit D supplements in the winter when there isn't an opportunity to go outside. Otherwise I just take then outside 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes at a time and that meets the vit D requirements.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Go outside for an hour a week baby should be fine without supplements
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:03 AM
This!
The D drops that are good are the ones that are tasteless and only require a single drop as the dose. The brands that I know are good are Carlson's and Just D.

Quoting mamabens:

You can, but it would be better to just spend 10-15 minutes a day outside. If you do decide to give the suppliment get it at the healthfood store, the kind with just vitamin d in it, NOT the vi sol junk the pedi's often reccomend. (those are made by formula companies & full of tons of artificial & unecessary junk)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Do not give anything orally to a baby under 6 months besides breastmilk unless medically necessary. Your baby will have enough vit d stores until then. Vbeing able to get adequate vit d outside depends on where you live. I'm right on the us/Canada border and we only get sufficient sunlight for about 2-4 weeks in the summer. My whole family takes vitamin d supplements. My babies start after they are one. I agree. Don't get the vitamin d with all the fillers. I use baby d drops. One drop provides daily dose of vitamin. 

sweet_ashes2209
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this
oh thanks so much! I was just wondering because my ob's office gave me a whole enfamil pack that came with the D-Vi-Sol vitamin D drops (also came with cool breast milk tubes called snappys) and I didn't know if I needed to use them since it's been 4 years since I had a baby and I never had to give them to my son. I think all just take her outside were in Texas so lots of sun lol

Quoting mamabens:

PEEK05
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I do not, even though Washington does not get sun all the time.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I don't do vit d drops. None of my kids are deficient.
JoJo151
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

No.  Take the baby outdoors ten minutes a day.  

gossett06
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM
I agree with pp don't use the drops. Going out side is better and more fun than trying to force s baby to take unnessary fillers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN