Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

weaning

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
If i wanted to wean my 16mth old could i just go cold turkey and take some tea or pill to stop my milk from producing and to prevent clogged ducts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Definitely not recommended.  You're setting yourself up for clogged ducts and mastitis.  Dropping one feeding per week is the recommended method.  

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Cold turkey is never a good idea. As pp said. Drop one feeding a week until done. May I ask why you want to wean?
McM0609
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM
So theres absolutely NOTHING I can take like a tea or a pill that i can take to dry up my milk without gtg clogged ducts??????
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM
There are teas to help. No more milk tea is the only one I've heard of, but there might be other forms of it too. It would definitely hurt for a while if you stop cold turkey. Since your baby is older, you could probably stop without the engorgement a lot faster than dropping one feeding a week, but stopping all at once is going to hurt even with the tea. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Estrogen birth control. Is it imperitive you stop cold turkey?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM

No more milk tea and birth control pills can dry you up almost instantly

McM0609
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM
People keep asking me when i am going to stop and my,MIL and my Mom swear theres this pill or tea that can dry me up an a day. I dont,want to wean anytime soon but i just wanted see if this was true if not i can easily just say no theres nothing i can take to wean i just have to wait til he stops on his own.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Technically they day they start solids you started weaning. When people ask I just say "were working on it". Easier than arguing.

Quoting McM0609:

People keep asking me when i am going to stop and my,MIL and my Mom swear theres this pill or tea that can dry me up an a day. I dont,want to wean anytime soon but i just wanted see if this was true if not i can easily just say no theres nothing i can take to wean i just have to wait til he stops on his own.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Agreed! :-)

Quoting audmom1218:

Technically they day they start solids you started weaning. When people ask I just say "were working on it". Easier than arguing.

Quoting McM0609:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Years ago they used to give a medication to moms who didn't want their milk to come in, or wanted to wean but they concluded that it caused strokes and cancer so they no longer use it anymore.

Quoting McM0609:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN