Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone successfully BFAR in here?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:22 AM
  • 4 Replies

I will be 8 years post reduction when this baby is born. I've had 2 kids, dd1 was completely unsuccessful, dd2 ended up primarily formula because of low production and weight loss. If you have successfully BFAR, how far past reduction were you and did you have any kids prior to the first successful BFAR baby you had? I've read the plethora of info available online, but I'd like to hear something from someone who isn't being paid for their information. :) Thanks in advance!

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We've had post-reduction moms here. DOn't know if we have anyone currently, but from what I recall it was a pretty wide variety of dates, from a couple of years to a decade-plus.

I take it you've checked out BFAR.org? That will be your best resource and most of our BFAR moms found lots of good help there.

For now, keep in mind what should be expected. Very often we find moms are given unrealistic expectations by their medical professionals. Pumping is NOT an indication of supply. There are women who've never had breast surgery and cannot pump a drop... yet they can nurse twins. Weight loss is expected in week one.. baby is expected to drop as much as 10-12% of birthweight in week one, and then start regaining at a rate of merely 4-6 ounces per week. It can take several weeks to get baby back up to birth weight.

The only real indication of supply is diaper output. In the first week, 1 wet per day of life. A wet = 4tb water in the dipe. You'll also want to see two quarter sized poops per day as the meconium starts clearing out.

LorinLizziesMom
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Thanks. I gave it two months or so trying to primarily breastfeed woth dd2 and dr got concerned about her weightloss. I want to try again this time I'm just hoping for some reassurance from someone who's beem there I guess :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

WEIGHT loss or PERCENTILE loss? Actual pounds and ounces lost is a concern. Percentile loss is unimportant... breastfed babies normally drop down and off the charts. Percentiles mean NOTHING until your child is in school and taking tests.

LorinLizziesMom
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

pound loss. I have tiny girls always under the 50% percentile mark. DD1 is 46" and 44#. She's tall and skinny for 7. DD2 is 39" and 32#. She's considerably shorter than the other 5 year olds in her pre-k class. I'm never concerned about percentiles. Those are just averages :) Not everyone is average. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)