Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Never feeling engorged????

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter is 6 weeks, 3 days old. She was born early, and weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces. She roughly weighs close to 8 pounds now.

She has great wet diapers (every time I feed, she is wet and I change her).

She does seem like she wants to constantly nurse a lot, though it could be a growth spurt?

However, last night she slept for 5 1/2 hours, and I didnt get engorged. My breast felt maybe a bit fuller, but not hard, no flat nipples, nothing like that....

Could that be a signal of low or decreasing supply? Wouldnt you think I should be engorged after not feeding that long???

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Your preemie has gained more than 2 lbs from her birthweight (more than that from lowest weight) in 6 weeks.... good grief, what a huge supply of milk you have. :)  We want to see aan average of at least 1 lb per month and she's definitely doing that and then some.  Engorgement is bad--it tells your breasts to stop making milk; floppy is good. :)  All is well, no worries.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Always look at diapers.... there are no other indicators of low supply. Babies nurse for lots of reasons, not just for food. It's also for comfort when they are unsure of the world.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Engorgement isn't good, you don't want that to keep up.

Sounds like she's gaining great, and if her diapers are good you're good.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I only had engorgement at all with my 1st and 5th baby (the one I just had).  My 2nd, 3rd and 4th baby I didn't have engorgement at all and they were all EBF'd.  It's nothing to worry about.  Diapers are all you need to tell if baby is getting enough.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM
This!
Engorgement tells your body that you're making more milk than your baby needs. Soft and floppy breasts are making exactly what is being demanded. This is a good thing! Can you imagine going around with engorged breasts for years? Can you say OUCH?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Your preemie has gained more than 2 lbs from her birthweight (more than that from lowest weight) in 6 weeks.... good grief, what a huge supply of milk you have. :)  We want to see aan average of at least 1 lb per month and she's definitely doing that and then some.  Engorgement is bad--it tells your breasts to stop making milk; floppy is good. :)  All is well, no worries.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

No. This is my third baby and first time I never, ever feel engorged.  I have a great milk supply. I thank God I don't have that uncomfortable engorged feeling. My baby is 2 months old now.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM

No. Your supply regulates every few weeks. You want it to do tha, otherwise you end up with OAL and risk clogged ducts and mastisits. Some women never feel engorged and make plenty of milk. It really means nothing. You baby has gained a ton of weight and diapers are good which tells me your supply is great! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)