Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Refusing the paci?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 22 Replies
Derek used to take paci when he would want to comfort suck. I started giving it to him becuase it helped him go to sleep without being attached to me.

But now he is refusing it and he won't sleep unless he's in his swing or I'm holding him.

What can I do!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Nurse him to sleep?  My boys refused the paci after about 6 weeks.  I either wore them so that they were snuggled and sleepy and I could still get stuff done, or I held them until they fell asleep and then gently laid them down.  They both fall asleep on their own now without any problems, but we waited until they told us they were ready (by getting up from our laps and laying themselves down on their own).

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I do nurse him to sleep. When he would take the paci, I would remove my breast and give him a paci once he fell asleep then lay him down. Now when I remove my breast he won't take the paci and wakes up when I lay him down.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Nurse him to sleep?  My boys refused the paci after about 6 weeks.  I either wore them so that they were snuggled and sleepy and I could still get stuff done, or I held them until they fell asleep and then gently laid them down.  They both fall asleep on their own now without any problems, but we waited until they told us they were ready (by getting up from our laps and laying themselves down on their own).

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Can you try leaving your hand on his abdomen when you lay him down so he still feels you there for a while?  I also found sleepsacks helpful--it made the transition from warm arms to cool bed not as harsh.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I do nurse him to sleep. When he would take the paci, I would remove my breast and give him a paci once he fell asleep then lay him down. Now when I remove my breast he won't take the paci and wakes up when I lay him down.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM
My youngest is like that. I always hold him until he is in a deep sleep then I lay him down. Sometimes he will wake up and I will just nurse him and lay him down again. He refused a paci from day one so I either wear him or do it that way.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I don't know, I went through the same thing. She stopped taking hers at about 5 months. I do miss it, but honestly it's probably for the best instead of having to worry about breaking a habit later on.

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I put DS to sleep while we are both laying down and when he unlatches I sneak out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
That's when I started nursing in bed for naps. Don't take him off. Let him fall off once he's in a really deep sleep.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I don't know. My kids never needed a pacifier but here's a bump.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM
My son took the pacifier from birth to eight months. It was pretty hard the first few days, but that was just because I had to get used to all of the comfort nursing and sleep sucking.
GE1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM

DS suddenly stopped taking the pacifier at 6 months he would take it out and play with it. At that point I would just nurse him to sleep which worked up to about a year. At this point he just sleeps in his crib hugging his blanket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN