Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Benefits of EBF? Help Please!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am currenly bf my almost 7 month old son and loving it. Last night my MIL stated once again how I should consider switching to formula when he cuts his first tooth. I can handle her advice without really listening to it lol. But later I was thinking about how long I want to nurse him. So I'm trying to find as much information on EBF as possible. He is totally a boobie monster, so I don't really think we will have an issue with making it to a year. I'm secure with how much I produce and how I feel and everything, but I really just want to make a good decision for my son.

Also, on a side note, my daughter really is interested in my bm, I find her sneaking it out of the fridge whenever it is there. Since I make enough extra, should I embrace it, or should I continue to keep her from it? She is 3 1/2, and did not bf more than 1 month, so any advice is truly appreciated on that matter as well.

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Breastfeeding is benefical at all ages. I always says mom should nurse as long as her and baby desire to. As far as your 3.5 year old, if she'll drink give it to her! It's got good stuff in it for her too!

twogirl91
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM

If your 3 year old likes your breast milk then I'd give it to her if you make enough. It would probably be good for her. I didn't even start solids with my second until he was 8.5 months and he's 10months now still barely give him solids, some days he doesn't have them at all. Food before 1 is just for fun. My first son I breastfed him a year, my milk dried up when I got pregnant again. :( But my second son we aren't planning to have kids anytime soon so I plan to let him nurse until he wants to stop.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Breast milk provides antibodies for whatever you and your baby have come in contact with. And babies cannot bite if they are actively nursing. I was told I would stop when he cut his first tooth too. He now has 6 and we're still nursing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

When I'm nursing and my kids get sick I have them drink my breastmilk.  It's good for them.  Better than breastmilk for a cow, since mine is made for tiny humans.

I nurse for as long as my babies want to nurse.  I don't wean them, they choose when to wean. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

EBFing as in extended BFing? you can find that innfo on kellymom..loads of info with medical studies to back it up

PEEK05
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I'd let your daughter have some lol.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Read this.
http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM
There is no reason to keep your older child from drinking your milk! It is good for her. She'll get the benefits of the antibodies and extra nutrition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

My friend made breast milk shakes with her frozen milk for her kids after they were weaned. They were 3 and 5. She didnt want to waste the milk. Bfing is great when teething. It is the only thing that calms my son when he is in pain. No reason to wean when they get teeth.

Quoting aehanrahan:

There is no reason to keep your older child from drinking your milk! It is good for her. She'll get the benefits of the antibodies and extra nutrition.

LuckyNLoved
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I guess I'm wondering about the practice of EBFing. Do you avoid cow's milk completely? Like I said originally, with my daughter I didn't make it past a month, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around how it would work. Do they eat three times a day like A one year old with milk? 

Will me giving her the milk help her get over a sickness that she already has? Or would it not?

Thank you all for your help, I love getting on here and getting help from all of you. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)