Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

questions about pumping for a stock pile

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
I am wanting to get a small stock pile of breast milk in case of an emergency. My ds is 7 weeks old. I have a double pump. When should I pump? He is ebf. When I pump, can I mix all the milk I pump in one day into one container? I am only wanting to do this until I get enough milk to feed ds for 3 or 4 days. We believe in being prepared for anything, so this is a must for us. Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilMansMom105
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I wanted to get a small supply of milk in case of emergency for when I go back to work. My son is 11wks old, and I started pumping when he was 3 days old due to other issues. I usually pump once a day, in the morning when my supply is at it highest. I either freeze that milk or use it for when I am out & about when it won't be convenient to breastfeed (eg. he gets hungry in the middle of a grocery shopping trip), or for when I need to be away for a few hours my husband can give him a bottle. It is so nice to know I have a little reserve :) All milk from one day can be mixed, yes. Refridgerated milk is good in a sealed container for 3-5 days. Frozen milk in a sealed container is good for 6mo-1yr. Good luck!

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I would pump first thing in the morning. You can combine milk, but I would only freeze 3oz at a time becuase that is the biggest bottle he will ever need.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I would just do once a morning, freeze in 2-3 oz portions. Pumping all day long will increase your supply too much and cause other problems. You want about 120oz for 4 days.
tarakay0417
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Thank you!

Quoting LilMansMom105:

I wanted to get a small supply of milk in case of emergency for when I go back to work. My son is 11wks old, and I started pumping when he was 3 days old due to other issues. I usually pump once a day, in the morning when my supply is at it highest. I either freeze that milk or use it for when I am out & about when it won't be convenient to breastfeed (eg. he gets hungry in the middle of a grocery shopping trip), or for when I need to be away for a few hours my husband can give him a bottle. It is so nice to know I have a little reserve :) All milk from one day can be mixed, yes. Refridgerated milk is good in a sealed container for 3-5 days. Frozen milk in a sealed container is good for 6mo-1yr. Good luck!

tarakay0417
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Thank you! I was about to try and figure out how many ounces I would need.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I would just do once a morning, freeze in 2-3 oz portions. Pumping all day long will increase your supply too much and cause other problems. You want about 120oz for 4 days.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM
When beginning to build a stock pile I pumped once a day during his morning nap. Only freeze 3ozs in each bag.
tarakay0417
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Should I nurse him and then pump, or pump then nurse?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I would pump first thing in the morning. You can combine milk, but I would only freeze 3oz at a time becuase that is the biggest bottle he will ever need.

kris0921
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I would say when you become engoraged, but that has probably already happened. Just add in pumping at night or nap time. Also when you finish a feeding you can pump, not much will come out the first few days this way, but it should start flowing after about 2 3 days. Good luck.
tarakay0417
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Some mornings I am engorged when I wake up. He nurses at night but some nights he doesn't "empty" my breasts. I could pump that off.

Quoting kris0921:

I would say when you become engoraged, but that has probably already happened. Just add in pumping at night or nap time. Also when you finish a feeding you can pump, not much will come out the first few days this way, but it should start flowing after about 2 3 days. Good luck.
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Best time to pump is first thing in the morning  when your supply is highest. You can pump on one side while baby is nursing on the other.

Quoting tarakay0417:

Should I nurse him and then pump, or pump then nurse?

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)