Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BF and exercising cautions?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM
  • 11 Replies
At a playdate today the topic turned to working out. One mom said if you plan on working out, first breast feed then don't nurse for a few hours after you are done because of the toxins released. This was news to me, maybe because I hate working out ;) but has anyone else heard this or know it to be true?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I've never heard of that before, and I've nursed immediately after working out plenty of times. For the first six months, that was usually why I stopped working out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I hear not to do many things while breastfeeding, or you'll release toxins though your milk.  For example, I've heard not to take long baths in Epsom Salts, and I've heard not to "juice."  Looks like I'll have to add "exercising" to the list!

In all honesty, I've always felt that moderation is the key...especially as I've not been able to find any studies on the release of toxins through breastmilk.

sarebare7
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Thank you! Loved that site when I was new to breast feeding, must have forgotten about it, its been almost three years so far!

Quoting Ptitchou:

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this
They're wrong! You can exercise and nurse as you wish. There are no restrictions except to be sure to stay hydrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SkylarBeth
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 5:02 AM
If this was true im pretty sure my ob or lc would have said something to me by now. As i am 7 weeks pp and training for a marathon, and have dropped a considerable amount of weight.
beachlove512
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Never heard that. I exercise on a regular basis and have nursed my son right after with no problems. I have heard to wait to exercise until your supply is established but most moms won't be working out right after giving birth anyway.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Only breastfeeding/exercising cautions I would say are valid are: 

1.) stay hydrated.  It's too easy to not replenish your water intake as it is, and you need even more when exercising. 

2.) Get a good bra!! Not enough support can be painful while exercising and too restrictive may lead to clogged ducts.  The toxins thing is not likely

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

Quoting audmom1218:

Only breastfeeding/exercising cautions I would say are valid are: 

1.) stay hydrated.  It's too easy to not replenish your water intake as it is, and you need even more when exercising. 

2.) Get a good bra!! Not enough support can be painful while exercising and too restrictive may lead to clogged ducts.  The toxins thing is not likely

2wkmom2013
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I love this topic..i have 4 weeks until im allowed to exercise again..i never gave it a thought! But looking forward to toning up! Thanks all!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)