Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

where do I go from here? Block feeding question..

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:18 AM
  • 19 Replies

Its me again ladies! So Ive been block feeding for 2 weeks now to control OAL and oversupply. Its working! My breasts never feel engorged and he doesnt choke or sputter when I let down anymore. No gulping to keep up with the flow. 

My first question is....why hasent the colic gone away? I dont eat dairy. He still cries a TON at night. Is this just the fussy evening thing? 

Second question is...is it possible that towards the end of the night, the breast Ive been nursing all day on isnt producing enough milk for him? (I do 12 hour blocks) I usually have to do some cluster feeding in the evenings. I nursed side lying last night from 530-630 and from 7-8 because he was screaming. He was not really swallowing much. Then, I was waiting for my hubby to come home to help me with the bath and he got home at 830. Nathan was SCREAMING for that last half hour. Like he was hungry! THen I gave him the fresh breast after the bath (the one that had not been used all day so it had a lot of milk for him) and he was content. Fell asleep no problem. So in the evenings, when he comfort nurses, I cant really get him to swallow more to drink the milk he needs...then he acts hungry and I want to save the other breast for after the bath so he falls asleep well. What is going on here? Why is he screaming after being nursed for almost 2 hours? During this time, I cannot take care of my other son. (hubby works late) So its either dont comfort nurse and Nathan screams all evening, or comfort nurse and my other son gets left in the dust for 2+ hours. :-( What can I do? Ive tried multiple pacifiers and he wont take them. 

Third question....where do I go from here in regards to block feeding? Should I go back to 6 hour blocks to just increase my supply a little? Also, the breast I use during the day is getting more "action" than the other one and its getting painful. How can I rotate breasts so I use the other one during the day for a while? (he nurses only twice a night on the other one, so while Im still doing a 12 hour block on that one, it doesnt get nursed on like the one I use during the day) 

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ptitchou
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I nurse a side for 12 hours too. Unless baby rejects. Then I offer the other side. I don't get caught up in timing so much that baby is frustrated.

Unless he's not peeing enough or pooping, there's no need to up your supply. I doubt it's gone;).

Is baby gassy?

How old? Babies have a witching hour..,.they just aren't content. Maybe give the two a bath? Overstim might be the cause.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Alli on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Its not that Im paying attention to the clock for the block feeding, I just try to make sure that I have a really full breast for his last feeding of the night...it seems to be the only way he falls asleep. If I give him a breast which has been used in the last 12 hours, the last nursing session doesnt put him to sleep. :-( And after 4 + hours of either nursing him or listening to him scream, I depend greatly on him going to bed after the bath, you know? :-( I feel bad but I need it. 

He's peeing and pooping enough.

Yes, he's gassy, but much less than he was before. He doesnt seem to have a problem getting the gas out on his own like he did before. 

He's 6 weeks and he's had colic episodes every night since he was 3.5 weeks old. 

My 4 year old is TERRIFIED of my 6 week old, so bathing together isnt an option, unfortunately. :-(

I have a question for you....have you ever tried to change the breast you use for one 12 hour block? The one I use during the day is getting sore, I would like to switch them ,but how? LOL! How long have you been block feeding? 

Thank you for your help!!! I appreciate it very much. 

Quoting Ptitchou:

I nurse a side for 12 hours too. Unless baby rejects. Then I offer the other side. I don't get caught up in timing so much that baby is frustrated.

Unless he's not peeing enough or pooping, there's no need to up your supply. I doubt it's gone;).

Is baby gassy?

How old? Babies have a witching hour..,.they just aren't content. Maybe give the two a bath? Overstim might be the cause.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Try breast compressions during the last part of the block in the evening.
It might just be the fussy evening thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:40 AM
2 moms liked this
You could slowly move toward using the other breast during the day by using it for longer times than the other one. Like 14 hours on that one and only 10 on the other until you have the day and night sides switched.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
try4baby20
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
U could try 8hr blocks instead
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Alli on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Great! Thank you very much, I will be trying that tonight along with how you said to extend the blocks! Thats great information. :-)

Quoting aehanrahan:

Ptitchou
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Baby is 4.5 m old now and I still have a bit if oversupply but she's demanding and dictates to me when she wants the other side.

And she had nightly bouts of crying jags that had me in tears. The only thing that helped was time. She doesn't have them anymore.

Hope things get easier for you soon. Hang in there!

Quoting amc103:

Its not that Im paying attention to the clock for the block feeding, I just try to make sure that I have a really full breast for his last feeding of the night...it seems to be the only way he falls asleep. If I give him a breast which has been used in the last 12 hours, the last nursing session doesnt put him to sleep. :-( And after 4 + hours of either nursing him or listening to him scream, I depend greatly on him going to bed after the bath, you know? :-( I feel bad but I need it. 

He's peeing and pooping enough.

Yes, he's gassy, but much less than he was before. He doesnt seem to have a problem getting the gas out on his own like he did before. 

He's 6 weeks and he's had colic episodes every night since he was 3.5 weeks old. 

My 4 year old is TERRIFIED of my 6 week old, so bathing together isnt an option, unfortunately. :-(

I have a question for you....have you ever tried to change the breast you use for one 12 hour block? The one I use during the day is getting sore, I would like to switch them ,but how? LOL! How long have you been block feeding? 

Thank you for your help!!! I appreciate it very much. 

Quoting Ptitchou:

Is baby gassy?

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM
How much is he up at night?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Let me know how it goes. I've never known anyone who wanted to switch like that. I tried to figure out what would make the most sense to make that happen.

Quoting amc103:

Great! Thank you very much, I will be trying that tonight along with how you said to extend the blocks! Thats great information. :-)

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trista4
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I have not heard of block feeding. Can you by chance tell me a little info on it.thank you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN