Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

If I had over-supply w/ previous baby........

Posted by   + Show Post

Is there a good chance I will battle with it again?

I had OAL/over-supply issues with my first two. It was HORRIBLE with my 2nd DS. I am pregnant with the 3rd, shold I just expect that I will deal with the same issue? OR just as pregnancy, could my milk production vary each time?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Replies (11-18):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM
You know what it is and how to deal with it if you have the issue again. My OAL and OS were worse with my second, but I knew how to deal with it so the issues weren't nearly as bad. I didn't know anything about it with my first and just dealt with the gassiness and spit up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

You'll likely have it again.  You can try blockfeeding from the day that your milk comes in--that may tame it quickly.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
I think i will start block feeding right away. the nursery nurses would always laugh because both DSs had milk mustaches, NOW I realize--most moms aren't spraying that much milk all over their poor child choking the day or two after birth, why does no one tell you this in the beginning? i'll never know,lol.

Quoting K8wizzo:

You'll likely have it again.  You can try blockfeeding from the day that your milk comes in--that may tame it quickly.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OpalG
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Yes, if it weren't for this site and all these amazing ladies , I would have never figured out my oversupply with my first . So thankfully I knew to guess it for my second .
This site continues to b an amazing resource for me and I come to it daily for encouragement and co- miserating. Somehow knowing that other mommas are nursing their screaming screaming 3 weeks olds too makes me feel better. Good luck .
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM

It's a toss up.  You could have it again...or it could be a nonissue.  I dealt with it for babies 1-4 in varying degrees.   Baby #5 was a nonissue. 

Mitzi31
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Do you pump with  your children? I don' have any experience with over supply myself but everyone I know that had it was pumping a lot. There are things you can eat that will help reduce supply just like stuff to eat to increase it. I would read that list of things and what ever you do DON"T eat the things that will increase it and try to add the other stuff, like peppermint, sage and oregano in your diet more.

I hope evverything goes better this time. My cousin actually stoppped bfing when her ds was 8 months cause of mastitis all the time due to over supply. :-( I've battled yeast but no other infections.

Good luck!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM
My oversupply was worse with each subsequent baby. But by baby #3, a different LC explained this all to me and had me block feed much earlier on. (with first 2 babies i didn't know about oversupply and didn't know until after that it had caused all our problems) By #4 I was block feeding the day my milk was coming in and I only had about 3 days of oversupply.
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

This gives me confidence, now that I am more educated, I too hope I can have a better experience, and hopefully less fussy, less refluxing babies!!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My oversupply was worse with each subsequent baby. But by baby #3, a different LC explained this all to me and had me block feed much earlier on. (with first 2 babies i didn't know about oversupply and didn't know until after that it had caused all our problems) By #4 I was block feeding the day my milk was coming in and I only had about 3 days of oversupply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)