Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

if you have big boobs with large nipples... EDIT after weigh in :(

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 69 Replies
3 moms liked this

Do /did you have latch problems? My nips are bruised, they scab over a little. If his mouth was just a little bigger i think id be okay... but it's not! He's a NB, duh! I'm on day 4 of BFing. Lansinoh is my best friend. Oh, and he lives on my boob of course!

And my boobs feel hot... I'm scared to death of mastitis after having it in both boobs with dd... is hot, super heavy, hard(ish) boobs normal? Milk came in yesterdayish/day before yesterday.

Edit: I woke SO up at 7 this morning crying bc of the pain and he went to get me a nipple shield. What a difference so far!! I feel much happier now :)

2nd Edit: In an attempt to not cause nipple confusion and have him reject my bare boob all together I have been alternating bare boob with shield boob. After a few shield feeds my nipple feels well enough to withstand his sucking and it's working out great! I just go back to the shield as soon as I feel sore and i'm cracking.

3rd Edit: He is 2 weeks and 2 days, and I'm still having pain and I don't think he is emptying my breast effectively. He will nurse for over an hour and then be crying and rooting again in less than a half hour. As some have suggested, I will ask my pedi about tongue tie at his appointment Monday. I hope I can hang on that long. I feel freaking desperate!

4th Edit: Dorian was weighed yesterday at the pedi's office and weighed one ounce more thsn his birth weight. He is 3 weeks old today. BUT they weighed him dressed with a onbesie and a sleeper and a very wet diaper on. So he is not actually at birth weight yet. We are not naturslly petite people, SO and i are quite chunky naturally and i am meeting with the LC tomorrow to work on latch, sore nipples, and get a better idea of his weight. He still has to be eating constantly or he is crying. This kind of sucks.

5th: DS reweighed with no clothes - Ds weighed in at 7lb8oz on. Wednesday, 3 weeks 2 day old. Same as when he left the hospital :(

weight history:at dr. office 3 days old - with clothes on - he was 7lb 10 oz. at dr. office 3 weeks old he is 8lb 1 oz with clothes on then 3 weeks 2 days with no clothes - same weight that he was when he left the hospital - 7.8

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this
With my first born I hurt, scabed, bleeding nipples, it was horrible then we got thrush. Lanolin was my bff, and used it all the time.
My second born no problems other then lip and tounge ties. And him being a cardiac baby, it was hard getting him to feed cause he was to tired. Now all these issues are fix by 9 months and nursing is getting better everyday. He just turned a year two weekss ago.
littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Op to answer ur question, we did have issues both time but with lots of help we got through it all.
villagemamma
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I had a lot of issues with finding a comfortable position for my daughter. Breast feeding didnt end up working out for us mainly because of other stressers and such but i am determined to make it work with this next baby.

BlueRay
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Baby Burger that thing. Kinds squeeze it down a bit like you would a cheeseburger that was too big then let him latch. It will ensure he is getting the proper parts. Make sure his lips are fished out once he's on. And yes, its gana hurt for a while but he will grow faster than you can imagine and so will that little mouth. Hang in there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
veganistic
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Good luck!!

Quoting villagemamma:

I had a lot of issues with finding a comfortable position for my daughter. Breast feeding didnt end up working out for us mainly because of other stressers and such but i am determined to make it work with this next baby.

bwsmommy
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
once baby gets a bit bigger it gets easier !! I'm very large breasted with large nips .. and now at 3 months it's way easier .. until then just squish it and make sure to get as much in as you can .. and keep lanolin handy !
bwsmommy
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM
also if your milk just came it .. i would think the heat and the engorment (sp) would be normal.. but im sure some of the others will know for sure !
amc103
by Alli on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH! ROFL! THIs cracked me up! Its true though, it helps! My nipples still hurt when he draws them out at the begining of the feeds and he's 7 weeks old. Big boobies, small baby mouth, lol!

Quoting BlueRay:

Baby Burger that thing. Kinds squeeze it down a bit like you would a cheeseburger that was too big then let him latch. It will ensure he is getting the proper parts. Make sure his lips are fished out once he's on. And yes, its gana hurt for a while but he will grow faster than you can imagine and so will that little mouth. Hang in there!

mama2gg
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Yup I had problems till I got a shield to feed
With
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
veganistic
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:13 AM
I forgot about those! My LC said not to use them except as a last resort, but i swear I'm close right atthis moment. I don't think he's done anything but eat since this evening and its 4am. I'm tired and i hurt. I keep falling asleep. He screams when he's not eating, and poops every time he eats. Eating calms him, diaper change infuriates him... ive fallen asleep twice typing this And he is on my boob of course.

Quoting mama2gg:

Yup I had problems till I got a shield to feed

With
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)