Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fire engine red bottom.. Ideas?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM
  • 17 Replies
Sigh. If its not one thing it's another - or it's everything!

My 3 week olds bottom is fire red. Have oversupply issues , working on them , he has lots of poos. I'm lathering on zinc based white goop every change but its getting slightly worse not better. It's not the whole butt cheek but the whole inside where the butt cheeks rub together.
Any advice other than goop?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:00 AM
The only things that work in my house are either triple paste or coconut oil. And now that we put the coconut oil on like its our job we find we don't need the triple paste any more.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
rmfanfgljf
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:04 AM

I agree about coconut oil, also when you give him a bath add some baking soda, it will help his pee and poo from "absorbing" onto his skin and it also helps his skin to stay soft.

kblpooh
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:35 AM
If it's getting worse and not better it could be a yeast infection. That happened with my son. Does the redness have little bumps? That's how I can tell it's a yeast infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Another thing it could be is he's allergic to the diapers or wipes. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OpalG
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM
It does have some tiny red bumps within the red bottom - is there anything wrong w trying a little yeast ointment?

Quoting kblpooh:

If it's getting worse and not better it could be a yeast infection. That happened with my son. Does the redness have little bumps? That's how I can tell it's a yeast infection.

OpalG
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM
It does have some tiny red bumps within the red bottom - is there anything wrong w trying a little yeast ointment?

Quoting kblpooh:

Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Trying going up a size in diapers til it's all cleared up.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM
It could be a yeast infection---that's the only time my girls had fire engine red rashes. You can buy yeast infection ointment & use it as a diaper rash cream. We always saw a drastic improvement overnight! Check the main ingredient on the yeast infection cream & go to the anti-fungul foot cream & find the same if you want to pay less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I just answered this---no. It's what my pediatrician advised me to use! And it works FAST.

Quoting OpalG:

Quoting kblpooh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Coconut oil will help with the yeast rash as well. It's anti fungal, anti bacterial, and anti microbial. If you don't have or don't want to spend the $ on yeast ointment. I know the nystatin my dr gave us was stupid expensive. That was before I found the majik of coconut oil.

Quoting OpalG:

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN