Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nothing but issues and almost at end of rope

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:53 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hi I am Casey, and my baby Jacob is 12 days. He is my third, my older two are 18 and 15 and I was able to successfully breastfeed them.

I have one inverted nipple and Jacob had trouble latching at first. I saw lc at the hospital and several times since. He has breastfed jaundice and hasn't gained weight. I know the weight thing is normal but it is not helping his jaundice and I have had do take him to the newborn club every few days since I wa discharged.

My inverted nipple does not come all the way out, and what does come out isn't even. With all the issues we've had, I think that side is not producing. It never feels full and not much comes out while pumping and it's about three sizes smaller than the other. The lc at newborn club advised me to do full feelings on one side ao he can get the fatty milk further in, but on that side he is never satisfied. Hs also nurses aggressively trying to get milk and there is a sore on my nipple. It hurts so damn bad I want to scream when he latches.

I'm not putting him to that side tonight. I have an appt in the morning at newborn club again and I'm hoping he has gained. Idk what I'm going to do about that side. :(

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Featured Replies
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Weight gain is perfect!

Don't limit baby to one side at a feeding. LC was partially right. You want baby to finish one side and get to the hindmilk, but if baby is still hungry after finishing one side, then offer the other!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

There's a "quote" button,. then you simply have to do a little editing. 

Quoting faerie75:

Idk how to do the reply between.

With my older sons I pinched it out, same as now, and sandwiched it in the mouth. They just took it easier I guess. Neither of them preferred that side but too it a lot easier.
Every baby is a new experience, isn't it!

He weighed 7 lbs 6 oz at birth. He got down to 6 lbs 15 oz at around 6 days old. Then gained to 7.4, then 7.3. Today he is 7.7 though!
OK. So who's telling you he's not gaining? He IS. In fact, he's only expected to be in a range of 7 lbs 3 oz to 7 lbs 5 ounces by day 14. 4-6 ounces per week, using your six day weight as the starting point. Birth weight became immaterial when he hit lowest.
He's gaining FINE. Anyone who's telling you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.
He has passed the meconium and has normal yellow breast stools. About 8-10 a day.

My nipple was always inverted. I had the lc check for his palate and tongue and they are fine.

Thank you for the advice for a shell. They gave me a shield at te hospital but I'm leery of using it. Where could I get a shell?
Any baby aisle should carry it. 
I don't see issues here, aside from the pain (and you can use the shield for that). I see a mom who's doing GREAT for the most part and has professionals not treating the real issue. Baby's not latching well on that side. It may take some working with the positioning and making him open wider to get it more comfortable.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Welcome, Casey! Let's take it all step by step.

Quoting faerie75:

Hi I am Casey, and my baby Jacob is 12 days. He is my third, my older two are 18 and 15 and I was able to successfully breastfeed them.
OK, that's all good.

I have one inverted nipple and Jacob had trouble latching at first. I saw lc at the hospital and several times since.
What did you do with the previous babies regarding the inverted nipple? 
He has breastfed jaundice and hasn't gained weight. I know the weight thing is normal but it is not helping his jaundice and I have had do take him to the newborn club every few days since I wa discharged.
Weight history please? And dipe count too. Is the meconium all passed?
My inverted nipple does not come all the way out, and what does come out isn't even.
Again, what did you do about it the first two babies? Inverted nipples are something you're born with, typically, unless there was some kind of trauma to the breast?
If the LC didn't have you do this, this is step one. Get a breast SHELL. Not a nipple shield. Breast SHELL. Wear it when you're not nursing. It will help draw out the nipple. And a Latch-Assist is another device that you can use right before latching to draw out the nipple. Once it's drawn out, push the nipple into baby's mouth. 
With all the issues we've had, I think that side is not producing. It never feels full and not much comes out while pumping and it's about three sizes smaller than the other.
All those sound like normal things. We're all lopsided.
The lc at newborn club advised me to do full feelings on one side ao he can get the fatty milk further in, but on that side he is never satisfied.
Don't look for satisfied. He's not supposed to get satisfied. The cranky unpleasant baby is the one who gets food and survives, you know? Squeaky Wheel principle. I worry about babies who act satisfied. Starvation happens in silence.
You could nurse for years on one side only so that IS an option, but I think we can resolve that without going to that option.
Hs also nurses aggressively trying to get milk and there is a sore on my nipple. It hurts so damn bad I want to scream when he latches.
Has he been checked for tongue tie? Is the pain only on the "inverted" side? And note the quotes here... I begin to suspect there's nothing wrong with your nipple and there's a problem with baby's mouth. Nipples don't suddenly invert. But a tongue tie can make the nipple really mangled.

I'm not putting him to that side tonight. I have an appt in the morning at newborn club again and I'm hoping he has gained. Idk what I'm going to do about that side. :(
I'd not weigh him so often. Once a week is plenty. No more day to day... that will only make you nuts. And stress will do lots of damage to supply.
If the LC hasn't mentioned the words tongue tie to you, then you may need to find a new LC.
I think we have some tongue tie info linked. If not, google it. Posterior tongue tie and tongue tie. Also check out info on high palate.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting faerie75:

OK, that's all good.

I have one inverted nipple and Jacob had trouble latching at first. I saw lc at the hospital and several times since.
He has breastfed jaundice and hasn't gained weight. I know the weight thing is normal but it is not helping his jaundice and I have had do take him to the newborn club every few days since I wa discharged.
My inverted nipple does not come all the way out, and what does come out isn't even.
Again, what did you do about it the first two babies? Inverted nipples are something you're born with, typically, unless there was some kind of trauma to the breast?
If the LC didn't have you do this, this is step one. Get a breast SHELL. Not a nipple shield. Breast SHELL. Wear it when you're not nursing. It will help draw out the nipple. And a Latch-Assist is another device that you can use right before latching to draw out the nipple. Once it's drawn out, push the nipple into baby's mouth. 
With all the issues we've had, I think that side is not producing. It never feels full and not much comes out while pumping and it's about three sizes smaller than the other.
The lc at newborn club advised me to do full feelings on one side ao he can get the fatty milk further in, but on that side he is never satisfied.
Don't look for satisfied. He's not supposed to get satisfied. The cranky unpleasant baby is the one who gets food and survives, you know? Squeaky Wheel principle. I worry about babies who act satisfied. Starvation happens in silence.
You could nurse for years on one side only so that IS an option, but I think we can resolve that without going to that option.
Hs also nurses aggressively trying to get milk and there is a sore on my nipple. It hurts so damn bad I want to scream when he latches.
Has he been checked for tongue tie? Is the pain only on the "inverted" side? And note the quotes here... I begin to suspect there's nothing wrong with your nipple and there's a problem with baby's mouth. Nipples don't suddenly invert. But a tongue tie can make the nipple really mangled.

I'd not weigh him so often. Once a week is plenty. No more day to day... that will only make you nuts. And stress will do lots of damage to supply.
If the LC hasn't mentioned the words tongue tie to you, then you may need to find a new LC.
I think we have some tongue tie info linked. If not, google it. Posterior tongue tie and tongue tie. Also check out info on high palate.
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I agree with ^^ above:  Don't weigh your baby every day. 

When we, as adults, are trying to lose weight, it's not always positive news when we weigh every day...  Same with the LO.  Go every week to weigh, or you'll have daily angst...  :)

faerie75
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

With my older sons I pinched it out, same as now, and sandwiched it in the mouth. They just took it easier I guess. Neither of them preferred that side but too it a lot easier.

He weighed 7 lbs 6 oz at birth. He got down to 6 lbs 15 oz at around 6 days old. Then gained to 7.4, then 7.3. Today he is 7.7 though! He has passed the meconium and has normal yellow breast stools. About 8-10 a day.

My nipple was always inverted. I had the lc check for his palate and tongue and they are fine.

Thank you for the advice for a shell. They gave me a shield at te hospital but I'm leery of using it. Where could I get a shell?

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting faerie75:

OK, that's all good.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

There's a "quote" button,. then you simply have to do a little editing. 

Quoting faerie75:

Every baby is a new experience, isn't it!

He weighed 7 lbs 6 oz at birth. He got down to 6 lbs 15 oz at around 6 days old. Then gained to 7.4, then 7.3. Today he is 7.7 though!
OK. So who's telling you he's not gaining? He IS. In fact, he's only expected to be in a range of 7 lbs 3 oz to 7 lbs 5 ounces by day 14. 4-6 ounces per week, using your six day weight as the starting point. Birth weight became immaterial when he hit lowest.
He's gaining FINE. Anyone who's telling you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.
He has passed the meconium and has normal yellow breast stools. About 8-10 a day.

Any baby aisle should carry it. 
I don't see issues here, aside from the pain (and you can use the shield for that). I see a mom who's doing GREAT for the most part and has professionals not treating the real issue. Baby's not latching well on that side. It may take some working with the positioning and making him open wider to get it more comfortable.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Weight gain is perfect!

Don't limit baby to one side at a feeding. LC was partially right. You want baby to finish one side and get to the hindmilk, but if baby is still hungry after finishing one side, then offer the other!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

this, exactly

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Weight gain is perfect!

faerie75
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Thanks!

So I am pumping the inverted side for a day or two so the nipple can heal. I was seriously crying in pain last night. Then I will try again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN