Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need help! Think I might be losing my supply any suggestions to naturally boost it?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

I have been breast feeding for almost 5 months now and it seems like my supply is going down instead of up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to raise my milk supply naturally?? Thanks for any advice. EDIT: I thought I was losing my supply because when pumping I normally get about 2 ounces on one side and another 1 to 2 from the other in the morning and probably once in the afternoon( I am just pumping and freezing for when I am not in the house with the baby). Lately I will get about 3 ounces maybe 4 in the morning and I can only get about a half ounce to an ounce in the afternoon or between feedings...I am not engorged at all because I usually am home to breast feed...plus she seems to be feeding every two hours again most of the day, but is only waking up once a night to feed. Just seems from her feeding more frequently that maybe I am not satisfying her.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's start with why you think your supply is down. Remember, the true indicator is dipes. At this age 4-5 wets per day.

Breast SHOULD feel soft and floppy and empty. Pump output will tell you nothing, but for those who pump, the average normal output is half an ounce to two ounces put together from both breasts. More than two ounces is actually a temporary condition that will go away.

If you're pumping and leaving baby, the baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. So 8-10 ounces for an eight hour day.

At five months, baby is making milestones and probably getting some teethinbg symptoms so expect cranky and demanding and NEVER EVER satisfied.

With all that info in hand, tell us what's going on?

EDITED TO ADD: More info will help us point you in the right direction. 

MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Are you pumping?  I remember my supply was going down at the four month mark with pumping at work, but I just added another pump session in my day and the supply went back up.  Breasts do change over time and babies often have growth spurts that make you think your supply is going down when it really isn't.  Put the baby on the boob- nursing vacation or add another pump session in at work.  

Fenugreek helped my supply too.  Don't stress b/c your supply can be directly related to negative thoughts.  I had to talk to myself while pumping- "You can do this mama...you were born to make milk.  Boo-yeah"

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

After a month old supply doesnt go up, the amount a baby needs is steady over the first 6 months then goes down gradually as solids are introduced.  Give us some info as to why you think supply is going down

Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Big bowl of oatmeal helps me feel better about my supply. The real kind not the little instant packages.

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM

What they said! Most supply issues are perceived and not really a supply issue at all.

BabyFruit Ticker

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

OP, where are you?

nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I edited for you!

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with your supply. All sounds normal. Pump output will forever decrease and nursing more often is also very normal. Diapers are your best indication of supply forever.

Side note... What are you going to do with all that milk if you've been freezing that much extra every day??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Normal pump output for a MISSED feeding is 0.5 oz - 2 oz from both sides COMBINED.  The fact that you are getting that or more than that in between feedings is insane.

Babies will change up their feeding routines constantly on you.  She's sleeping longer at night, so she's needing to eat more during the day to make up for those missed calories at night.  Every 2 hours is nothing, trust me.  For a while at that age, my ds was nursing every hour around the clock--he'd just gotten so interested in the world around him that he only nursed long enough to get just enough to make it through the next hour so that he could get back to playing quickly.

As long as she's making enough diapers, she's getting plenty of milk.  That's the only true supply indicator.

nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I use it when I go out for doctors appointments and I have a daughter in the hospital so when I go to visit her my hubby uses it to feed. I took my oldest 4 on a weekend vacation and my sister used some, but I don't breastfed in public so with 8 kids and my own appointments I use a decent amount. Before my oldest was put into a long term treatment center I was at the hospital for 5 to 6 hours at a time and she has had about 11 of those visits since my youngest was born....I just like to have enough in there just incase something happens. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN