Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need help! Think I might be losing my supply any suggestions to naturally boost it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been breast feeding for almost 5 months now and it seems like my supply is going down instead of up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to raise my milk supply naturally?? Thanks for any advice. EDIT: I thought I was losing my supply because when pumping I normally get about 2 ounces on one side and another 1 to 2 from the other in the morning and probably once in the afternoon( I am just pumping and freezing for when I am not in the house with the baby). Lately I will get about 3 ounces maybe 4 in the morning and I can only get about a half ounce to an ounce in the afternoon or between feedings...I am not engorged at all because I usually am home to breast feed...plus she seems to be feeding every two hours again most of the day, but is only waking up once a night to feed. Just seems from her feeding more frequently that maybe I am not satisfying her.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Quoting nickigoingon8:

EDIT: I thought I was losing my supply because when pumping I normally get about 2 ounces on one side and another 1 to 2 from the other in the morning and probably once in the afternoon( I am just pumping and freezing for when I am not in the house with the baby).

Those amounts are actually extremely HIGH.

Lately I will get about 3 ounces maybe 4 in the morning and I can only get about a half ounce to an ounce in the afternoon or between feedings...

Those are normal amounts.

I am not engorged at all because I usually am home to breast feed...plus she seems to be feeding every two hours again most of the day, but is only waking up once a night to feed. Just seems from her feeding more frequently that maybe I am not satisfying her.

She's not supposed to be "satisfied." That's detrimental to her survival. **grin** You're normal and need to do precisely nothing different. Carry on.

nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thanks! I think I am just nervous...out of all of my kids she is the only one I have breastfed this long so I am a little naive when it comes to this. Thanks for all the help and reassurance : )

CafeMom Tickers
bigmamaisback
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Herbs have helped me tremendously. I drink Breastea and went from pumping 1/2 ounce at a time to the 4 to 5 ounce mark. You want to drink it daily. I exclusively pump, which has made my milk supply drop over time. You can get it online, just search for it.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM
You're doing much better that you know! How much is given in bottles when you're gone? If you nurse right before you leave and as soon as you get back, you only need 2-3 ounce bottles to be given every 2-3 hours between those nursing sessions.

Quoting nickigoingon8:

Thanks! I think I am just nervous...out of all of my kids she is the only one I have breastfed this long so I am a little naive when it comes to this. Thanks for all the help and reassurance : )

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My husband usually only has to give a 3 oz bag when I am gone for about one in a half to two hours.

CafeMom Tickers
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
That's still a pretty big bottle for only a couple hours away! That amount will never increase, so keep that in mind... My 10 month old only takes 2oz at a time when I'm gone.

Quoting nickigoingon8:

My husband usually only has to give a 3 oz bag when I am gone for about one in a half to two hours.

Ptitchou
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Mobile Photo

nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I guess I am not doing as bad as I thought then : ) Thank you to all the ladies giving support it really helps a lot : )

CafeMom Tickers
nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

supermillerMom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

A lot of women think their supply is low when they've really just regulated to their baby's needs.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN