Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Offensive?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am currently interning at a rehab facility and graduating in 4 weeks. I am currently interviewing for jobs. My clinical supervisor is a little uptight and we don't really see eye to eye on things, but she is okay for the most part. However last Friday things took a bad turn. To fill the awkward silence during lunch, I asked her for some advice regarding job interviews. She went on and on and said some good stuff, but then she started talking about how in this current facility (where I am interning), they no longer hire smokers because its a smoke-free zone and smokers take smoke breaks which equals to less productivity. She then segued this into "I don't what your plans are about your pumping but you probably don't want to mention that at your interview." I kind of felt a little offended, was I justified in feeling this way? Basically I felt like she was comparing me to a smoker taking smoke breaks. I don't know... What do you ladies think? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Your feelings are never right or wrong. They simply ARE. What you do about them is what counts.

She was a bit cloddish in handing out what otherwise was actually good advice. Your pumping is NOT the workplace's business so don't mention it in a job interview. They don't need to know. 

Bigger concern was the admission of discrimination against smokers. That's a labor board complaint right there.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Honestly I wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't mention pumping in a job interview. It's none of their business and while its illegal to not hire you for that reason they could easily come up with an excuse why you're not the best candidate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armyslpbaby
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I wasn't planning on mentioning pumping at my job interview, I just didn't know how to react coz I felt like it was strange how she brought it up. Lol. Have you ladies brought up that you had kids or anything related to family life I just keep to myself? 

armyslpbaby
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It's true, it was on the news. They ask for a drug test or something. http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/30/us/pennsylvania-nicotine-testing

Quoting gdiamante:

Your feelings are never right or wrong. They simply ARE. What you do about them is what counts.

She was a bit cloddish in handing out what otherwise was actually good advice. Your pumping is NOT the workplace's business so don't mention it in a job interview. They don't need to know. 

Bigger concern was the admission of discrimination against smokers. That's a labor board complaint right there.

ragitty
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Legally they couldn't ask you any of those things, nor could they legally not hire you due to smoking or pumping. They can't ask you anything about wanting a family or about your aspirations for babies/hubbies/etc. either. 

I wouldn't be offended. I would just roll my eyes and move on with my day. I am 21 and have a 3yo. I am graduating in May with my BS so I have had many interviews for internships and jobs in the past year. In my case it always seemed to work in my favor to tell people I had a child because my 3.44 GPA was much more impressive with that in mind haha. If it weren't for the fact that my family explained away my (basically) average grades and my lack of too much school involvement, I would never have mentioned it.

ragitty
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

In most situations you shouldn't mention you have a family. It worked in my favor, though, so I did. My boss last summer admitted I was his #1 choice because he knew I had more to work for than the typical applicant. I got my job upon graduation the day after my first half-hour long on-campus interview because they were so impressed by the fact that I had a toddler and maintained above-average grades and because I knew so much about the company (my cousin-in-law works for them).

Quoting armyslpbaby:

I wasn't planning on mentioning pumping at my job interview, I just didn't know how to react coz I felt like it was strange how she brought it up. Lol. Have you ladies brought up that you had kids or anything related to family life I just keep to myself? 

sal26
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Lets consider this:
The are LAWS protecting bf moms bc its healthy for mom and babies.
I don't think there's laws that guarantee smokers a break. Smokers specifically not regular scheduled breaks for everyone.

I know the hospitals around here aren't hiring smokers bc of health reasons, not bc of productivity. I don't know all details there-just read it a while back. But I wouldn't mention pumping. Maybe ask how big company is to make sure they have the right number so you're covered by law.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Not in a job interview. Never in a job interview.

Quoting armyslpbaby:

armyslpbaby
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Thanks all! This is for a position I really want so I don't want to mess up! I've got a great GPA and references so I don't want to not be hired just coz I pump. I'm proud of the fact that I managed to have a baby in grad school and i don't really want to hide it. But I guess it's better to not mention it :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Smart move. While employers aren't supposed to discriminate against you for having a family, it's generally considered best to not give any reasons NOT to hire you, like, "She needs to go home to her family and may not be able to work extra hours."

Good luck in your job hunt!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN