Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

4th night of being up at night

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:13 AM
  • 27 Replies
In tears over breastfeeding! My SO is starting to ask me if it is worth it because I am getting so upset about it.

I'm not producing hardly shit on my inverted side. That side has given me nothing but issues in the 13 days since I've had my babY. First he couldn't latch, then it was painful, up until last night when it became too painful to nurse anymore. Now I am only pumping on that side for the next few days to give it time to heal. Well it's not producing now. I did get 1.5 oz earlier but every other time I get maybe a tablespoon. Now the other side isn't producing enough for the baby, and starting to get sore too.

I just don't know wtf to do anymore :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2astar
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:21 AM
It takes time 1.5 is really good for 2 weeks. Good just it takes time and patience. This too shall pass. By the way you did it this far keep going. It was hard for me at first also but I had support and I am almost 4 most strong
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Pumping is not a good indicator of howuch you are producing. You cannot tell by that alone. Diaper counts are the only way to tell, and 1.5 ounces is amazing and more than the average amount to be able to pump.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM
3 moms liked this
Pumping means nothing, it's one of the most inaccurate ways to determine supply. Diaper count is what tells you how much baby is getting.
Have you tried breast shells (not to be confused with nipple shields) for your inverted nipple? Newborns nurse constantly. Breastmilk is digested extremely quickly, their bellies are tiny, and they also are doing their part in establishing your supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneer1
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I had a bout of terrible soreness on one side at around 2 weeks. I just fed on one and pumped the sore one for a couple of days like you. Lots of lanolin as well. As far as your pumping output, at 11 weeks I still only average 2-3 oz per side when I'm engorged, so take it easy, you're doing fine.
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM

It's possible to feed a baby entirely off one side and that may be what you end up having to do.

You could try pumping a bit before you latch to draw out your inverted nipple and see if that helps your LO latch on.  You could also use a shield, but I warn you, they're messy and it's a real bear weaning a baby that's used to it back to a bare nipple.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I'm sure you're doing much better than you are giving yourself credit for momma. Look on YouTube and start working with baby on a side lying position so you can doze while baby eats. And keep an eye on diapers. 6 In a day is what you're looking for. More than four ounces of urine=2. Poopy counts as 2. The only way to know you are producing enough
confused632
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The soreness will pass.  Lots of Lanolin.  And I never got that much with a pump.  Baby may be hitting a growth spurt as well which will mean eat all the time, some soreness and so on.  They have to nurse more to tell your body to make more milk.  Don't give up and just watch diapers like the others have said.  Also try the football hold if you can.  That helped me a lot when my nipple was sore with a blister from a clogged duct.

Good Luck!!!

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Get a breast shell for your inverted side. Wear it when you're not nursing to draw the nipple out. That pump output is actually really good! Baby doesn't need more than that at a feeding anyway at this point. During the first 6 weeks or so, if you're going to be with baby, it's best to not pump and let him/her solely establish your supply. As long as you're getting enough diapers (6 a day), then your lo is getting enough milk. Tell your SO breastfeeding is most certainly worth it. There's way too many risks associated with formula! Don't give up... it gets easier!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

All of this, exactly.

If you have a nipple injury, you can try wearing a shield on the injured side to protect it and allow it to heal while baby continues to nurse on that side.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Get a breast shell for your inverted side. Wear it when you're not nursing to draw the nipple out. That pump output is actually really good! Baby doesn't need more than that at a feeding anyway at this point. During the first 6 weeks or so, if you're going to be with baby, it's best to not pump and let him/her solely establish your supply. As long as you're getting enough diapers (6 a day), then your lo is getting enough milk. Tell your SO breastfeeding is most certainly worth it. There's way too many risks associated with formula! Don't give up... it gets easier!

musik16
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Agree with everyone else.

Pumping is not a good indicator. I tried to pump with both my girls (now 13 and 3) and I couldn't get shit. Both of them are healthy and all they needed was my milk. 

Some children sleep through the night and others need their mama's milk during the night. Your LO is probably feeding more due to growing. That is about all they do the first year is just grow and grow.

Try to find a LLL in your area for some support. It is great when there are other women close that you can talk to when you are having issues.

And I EBF my first DD till she was 8 months and self weaned and EBF my second DD till 1 year and continues BB till 2.25 years old.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)