Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why, why is it ok for a 3 yo to use a bottle of cow's milk ...?????

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday, DS and I went to visit his godmother to be, she wasn't home but her mom and other aunt were. Godmother is SO's cousin. Her mom is SO's aunt. Well DS and I await her, I was chit chatting with the old aunts (between 49 and 60 yo, by old I mean really older than me, not actually old). 

DS got hungry so I took him back and started nursing, we were all women there, so I didn't  use cover just 2nd shirt method. Well the older aunt asked me about AF return and other stuff because she EBF 3 out of her 5 children. The 49er asked me when I'll took that away from my DS... WFT is wrong whit her, it is OK that her almost 3yo Grandaughter still drinks her cow's milk from a baby bottle, she left toddle formula when she was 2, but not ok that my almost 9mo still breastfeed.

I told her when he is 2 years old or when he decide. She told me I told my DIL to quiet that when my other DGD was 18 months because that is not correct. I was so mad and told her WHO and AAP and MAP (Mexican Association of Pediatrician).

Why, why it is ok for a 3 yo to use a bottle of milk and not for a 9mo to keep nursing???

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Yep, what she said. We don't do cows milk, but almond and coconut milk, they actually both have 50% more calcium than whole milk. My 20 month old still nurses several times a day, so. he doesn' t really need them at this point, but has them very occasionally.

Also I would have told the aunt (?) to do her own research before doling out inaccurate advice.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Your baby will get plenty of calcium as long as he's nursing at least 3 times a day.  When he goes below that, yes, almond milk is a source of calcium, as are cheese, yogurt, salmon, almonds, leafy greens, fortified OJ..... lots of ways to get it that don't involve drinking cow's milk if he doesn't like it.

Quoting turttlemom:

She is nuts... She thinks all she does is the way to be done and everybody should follow her. I respect her but she also was trying to convince me to give him bread with sour cream. Hell no.

I know, before my DS I never thought about this stuff, SO has some cousins who EBF and she saw them like weirdos, and now I'm one of them too because I told her DS will not take cow's milk, she told me, you should do some research, where will your baby take his calcium from. I told her almond milk, I don't really know if that is a source of calcium, but I'll do my research when it comes the time.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

It isn't, that's ridiculous and kudos to you for knowing better and trying to educate. :-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
turttlemom
by Nayelli on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I'll have this in mind next time she says something related my son's nursing or any feeding statement.

I don't really care what she does with all the girls she claim she raise, well she babysit them, she does formula, baby food and other things I don't want for my LO, but I don't tell her spot doing that.

She is SO's aunt, so kind of in-law, as G says, I should ignore her.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Yep, what she said. We don't do cows milk, but almond and coconut milk, they actually both have 50% more calcium than whole milk. My 20 month old still nurses several times a day, so. he doesn' t really need them at this point, but has them very occasionally.

Also I would have told the aunt (?) to do her own research before doling out inaccurate advice.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Your baby will get plenty of calcium as long as he's nursing at least 3 times a day.  When he goes below that, yes, almond milk is a source of calcium, as are cheese, yogurt, salmon, almonds, leafy greens, fortified OJ..... lots of ways to get it that don't involve drinking cow's milk if he doesn't like it.

Quoting turttlemom:

She is nuts... She thinks all she does is the way to be done and everybody should follow her. I respect her but she also was trying to convince me to give him bread with sour cream. Hell no.

I know, before my DS I never thought about this stuff, SO has some cousins who EBF and she saw them like weirdos, and now I'm one of them too because I told her DS will not take cow's milk, she told me, you should do some research, where will your baby take his calcium from. I told her almond milk, I don't really know if that is a source of calcium, but I'll do my research when it comes the time.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

It isn't, that's ridiculous and kudos to you for knowing better and trying to educate. :-)

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I know that is very sad, same thing down here in Mexico. My coworkes keep telling me I shouldn't co-sleep, because I will spoiled my baby. Both males, but their wives didn't bf at all.

Quoting KelleyLitty:

Unfortunately we live in a society in the US where it is more acceptable to let your dog snuggle with you in bed rather than your own babies. And people wonder why children are the way they are these days.

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Wow... I think she is just biased, and those who are biased are not usually going to change their outlooks - no matter what they already accept (3yo's should not be bottle-fed)...

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I know. Eventhough the main reason that girl was FF is because her mom is epileptic (sp?), she told me "why will you want some kid sucking of your tit all the time"... I mean, it is not just random kid, is your own child. Anyway...

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Wow... I think she is just biased, and those who are biased are not usually going to change their outlooks - no matter what they already accept (3yo's should not be bottle-fed)...

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Society is skewed to think that feeding from a bottle is normal and ok, but nursing is weird and abnormal. Breasts have become so sexualized that many people think that nursing past a certain age (different for everyone) becomes sexual and wrong. Nursing full-term is natural and normal. The immune system isn't fully mature until around 5-7 years old, which is when the milk teeth start to fall out and the emerging adult teeth changes the jaw and the the child is no longer able latch and suckle properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turttlemom
by Nayelli on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I did think about you and the milk teeth, Amy, when another aunt told me if you go to BLW then you probably will wean him when he is older than 2 yo., but this aunt didn't say anything about you should stop nursing him at this or that age.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Society is skewed to think that feeding from a bottle is normal and ok, but nursing is weird and abnormal. Breasts have become so sexualized that many people think that nursing past a certain age (different for everyone) becomes sexual and wrong. Nursing full-term is natural and normal. The immune system isn't fully mature until around 5-7 years old, which is when the milk teeth start to fall out and the emerging adult teeth changes the jaw and the the child is no longer able latch and suckle properly.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

For sure, and it's best practice to always agree with G, lol. :-)

Quoting turttlemom:

I'll have this in mind next time she says something related my son's nursing or any feeding statement.

I don't really care what she does with all the girls she claim she raise, well she babysit them, she does formula, baby food and other things I don't want for my LO, but I don't tell her spot doing that.

She is SO's aunt, so kind of in-law, as G says, I should ignore her.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting turttlemom:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Brandy85412
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

beacuse this world is backwards...

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Not everyone specifies an age. They just think that nursing is unnatural and don't understand child led weaning. They think that letting the child take the lead means that there are no rules or boundaries. We start with rules and boundaries when we teach nursing manners and set limits. I didn't allow many nursing behaviors that I deemed unwanted, but nursed on demand. My son learned quickly that he had to follow my limits if he wanted to continue nursing and he did.
Some people just don't understand and never will.
Quoting turttlemom:

I did think about you and the milk teeth, Amy, when another aunt told me if you go to BLW then you probably will wean him when he is older than 2 yo., but this aunt didn't say anything about you should stop nursing him at this or that age.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN