Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

18 months, normal???

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, my LO is 18 months and still nursing around the clock including 3-5 times at night.  I cosleep so I actually get to sleep at night.  This last week I have been trying to sit up to nurse and put him back in his crib (which is in my room).  This works but it seems like he is still waking just as often if not more than when I just cosleep.  He goes down at night and naps on his own, although he will also nurse to sleep.  But he doesn't have an issue soothing down when he first goes down. 

A little background on him, he had colic as an infant, and still have tummy issues today, and because of those issues I believe he has used nursing as a crutch.

Recently he has upped his nursing sessions during the day as well, and he gets plenty of food/water/milk/etc during the day. I try to distract him from nursing during the day, but it has become more and more often.  I'm not sure if it's because he truly needs it or he is just doing it because it's comfort.  I was nursing him just for naps, so 2 during the day, one for bed, and then 3-5 throughout the night.  Now it's more like 3-6 times during the day, and the same at night.  I thought they were suppose to be decreasing sessions not increasing.  My second was weaned at 17 months on his own, so this is new to me.  I am okay continuing to nurse until he is two, but after that I feel I am done.  Any suggestions as to what is going on, or how to avoid more nursing sessions?

Thanks ladies!

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I avoided nursing during the day by wearing my last LO; he nursed until he was 15 mos.  Can't help you with the nighttime feedings, tho; took an overnight stay in the hospital (me, not him) to stop night nursing cold turkey.  (Oh, and a week of DH taking care of him at night; that didn't make much difference; he spend MONTHS trying to crawl down me shirt; thus, I was not sleeping, etc.)

Brandy85412
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Its normal. I knew a child at 18 months asked to nurse more than my 4 month old. Some just really like that contact. I forced my other 2 to stop nursing at night. I just stopped at night. With #3 she is 15 months now and still nurse 3 times a night. I weaned the others at 15 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

First, 18 months is a big growth spurt (22 months is another huge one if you get that far).  He's probably increasing his nursing session for the same reason he did during growth spurts as a baby--to order up a change in the composition of your milk to better meet his nutritional needs.  If you're fine with continuing to nurse on demand, go ahead and do that.  If you'd like to set some limits, you can do that, too.  If you want to night-wean and just keep nursing on demand through the day, you can do that.  It's up to you.  

I nursed fully on demand until 20 months when I nightweaned and continued to nurse on demand through the day.  At around 27 months, I limited my ds to wake-ups and lay-downs and then he slowly weaned himself down from there to the point where he was nursing just once or twice a week for a couple of months before he turned 3.

scharette
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for the insight! I just didn't want to think by allowing him to nurse more that this was gonna keep going on! I don't mind so much, but would like to see the light at the end of the tunnel! LOL

Quoting K8wizzo:

First, 18 months is a big growth spurt (22 months is another huge one if you get that far).  He's probably increasing his nursing session for the same reason he did during growth spurts as a baby--to order up a change in the composition of your milk to better meet his nutritional needs.  If you're fine with continuing to nurse on demand, go ahead and do that.  If you'd like to set some limits, you can do that, too.  If you want to night-wean and just keep nursing on demand through the day, you can do that.  It's up to you.  

I nursed fully on demand until 20 months when I nightweaned and continued to nurse on demand through the day.  At around 27 months, I limited my ds to wake-ups and lay-downs and then he slowly weaned himself down from there to the point where he was nursing just once or twice a week for a couple of months before he turned 3.

newwifenmom
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I agree

Quoting K8wizzo:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

There were days like that when I thought it would never end.  22 months nearly did it for me... my goodness, 3 hour long nursing sessions and 20 "drive-bys" throughout the day.  ack!!  If I didn't have friends with babies his age who were eating everything in sight and chugging down the cow's milk, I might have gone a little crazy wondering what was wrong with my child.  Then, the day he turned 2 I started don't offer/don't refuse and he only nursed one time and I cried because he didn't need me anymore; the next day he nursed 7 times and I felt a little better.  By the time he was going days between nursing sessions, we were both definitely ready for it.  Now it's been almost a month since I weaned him and we're both just fine.  

All this to say, toddlers are crazy little things but it doesn't last forever. :)

Quoting scharette:

Thank you so much for the insight! I just didn't want to think by allowing him to nurse more that this was gonna keep going on! I don't mind so much, but would like to see the light at the end of the tunnel! LOL

Quoting K8wizzo:

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Drive by lol......thats excatly what it is to. ...lmao.....

Quoting K8wizzo:

There were days like that when I thought it would never end.  22 months nearly did it for me... my goodness, 3 hour long nursing sessions and 20 "drive-bys" throughout the day.  ack!!  If I didn't have friends with babies his age who were eating everything in sight and chugging down the cow's milk, I might have gone a little crazy wondering what was wrong with my child.  Then, the day he turned 2 I started don't offer/don't refuse and he only nursed one time and I cried because he didn't need me anymore; the next day he nursed 7 times and I felt a little better.  By the time he was going days between nursing sessions, we were both definitely ready for it.  Now it's been almost a month since I weaned him and we're both just fine.  

All this to say, toddlers are crazy little things but it doesn't last forever. :)

Quoting scharette:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM
It all sounds totally normal. Highs and lows. My son os 22 months. Nirsed 15 times one day and 7 times that night only to skip the whole next day, fall asleep with grandma and sleep through the night leavong me engorged from no nirsing for over 24 hou rs. Its crazy. I still nurse on demand though. He got siper clingy for a while at 18 months bit he settled down. Watch those molars too. Lots of fluctuation with them.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Wondering too if he's having a subtle problem with wheat and/or dairy that might be upsetting his stomach?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

scharette
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Well he could. I had to cut all dairy when he was little but now he drinks cows milk with no real reaction. As for wheat I am not sure I have never tried to take that out before.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Wondering too if he's having a subtle problem with wheat and/or dairy that might be upsetting his stomach?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN