Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Update: No weight gain :(

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok baby girl was born thursday march 21st. 7lbs 14 oz. 19 inches long. Monday 4 days later she weighed 7 lbs even, my milk had just come in. 3 days later at her weight check she was 7 bs 8 oz. ok now fast forward to today at her 1 month check she weighed 7 lbs 7 oz. She actually lost an ounce in the last 3 wks. Her length grew to 20.5 inches.

I feel like I'm failing. Surely it can't be normal to not gain anything in 3wks. Not be back to her birth weight by now. Her weight is 10%ile and her length is 25th and head is 50th.

She has tons of wet and dirty dipes. Like probably 6 stools and 10 or more wets everyday. Her stool is yellow liquid, urine looks pale yellow.

Pediatrician wants me to pump exclusively and feed her with bottles to see how many oz she's taking and see if she gains anything doing that and we'll recheck her weight in 4 days. So experts what do you think

UPDATE: well 4 days later she weighed 8 lbs even. Then today she weighed 8lbs 13oz!! That's going from 7-7, to 8-13 in 8 days. I did have an IBCLC come out to the house. Not a ton of help though we were doing things correctly. So the dr said she's not tongue tied so I don't know why she's not able to transfer milk - enough milk effectively it's like she tires herself out and can't finish a feed despite me doing everything I can to keep her awake, and even when she has nursed for like an hour, she acts like she's starving afterwards. Idk. But the LC gave me a baby scale to use to see how much she's really getting from me. She'll be 6 wks old on Thursday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I think at this point, that is what you need to do.  She's a month old and hasn't gained enough to even be at her birth weight yet.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Also, even if you're pumping and bottle feeding, that doesn't mean that you can't also put her to the breast.  It sounds like she's eating enough, maybe she just isn't eating LONG enough to get enough hindmilk.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell us more about her nursing habits. Are they using the same properly calibrated scale to weigh her every time? Is she getting any bottles? Does she frequently fall asleep while nursing after only a few moments? Does she seem lethargic? Has she been checked for lip or tongue ties? Does it hurt your nipples when she nurses? Did you receive IV fluids during labor? You may want to try a "nursing holiday" with her--keep her skin-to-skin with you, nurse her every time she wiggles.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

heartnhidin
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
How long does she nurse on each side?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I was also about to ask if you had IV fluids or a csection?

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Tell us more about her nursing habits. Are they using the same properly calibrated scale to weigh her every time? Is she getting any bottles? Has she been checked for lip or tongue ties? Does it hurt your nipples when she nurses? Did you receive IV fluids during labor?
bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Our son didn't gain weight all summer last year, but I kept on breast feeding him. He's just a small kid, even though he's eating food now, we stuff him with good food and he just doesn't gain weight.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
You also count weight from lowest weight, not north weight. Do you consume dairy or gluten?
AshleyBDG
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Same scale in the dr office. I DID get fluids during labor. She never gets bottles. No tongue ties. Nursing was rough in the beginning with the latch, i had creases and scabs at first, but its gotten much better, it's still a struggle to get her to open her mouth very much but it doesn't really hurt anymore and no sores or anything.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I was also about to ask if you had IV fluids or a csection?

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Tell us more about her nursing habits. Are they using the same properly calibrated scale to weigh her every time? Is she getting any bottles? Has she been checked for lip or tongue ties? Does it hurt your nipples when she nurses? Did you receive IV fluids during labor?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM
4 days isn't a lot of time to expect a gain that will please the doctor.

The reason we ask about IV fluids in labor is that they artificially boost the birth weight a bit. It's also pretty likely that she dipped even lower than the 7-8 you recorded at the one week appt. so the baby's gain might be a little better than she's getting credit for.
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Lets do some numbers to see where she really is:

BW - 126 oz

Because you had fluids she could have loss up to 12% so that would put her lowest around 110oz (6lbs 14oz)

We would expect to see 4-6oz a week after that first week (because 1st week is supposed to be all loss) so at 4 weeks she should be around 122-128ozs (7lbs 10ozs to 8lbs even).

Babies grow in spurts so 3ozs off from lowest isnt a huge deal right now but lets see what can be done to up that weight.  Talk to me about how shes nursing.  How long between sessions? Are you timing nursing or letting her come off on her own? Is she getting any bottles right now? Have you checked her for tongue tie, it is easily missed and most drs and lcs dont really know what to look for.

I owuldnt jump right to pumping and bottle feeding because that is alot of work that may only cause issues later on.  She is having enough diapers so obviously whats going in is coming out.  Sounds like there is something else going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)