Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Please help before I lose it!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 9 Replies

So tommorow my LO will be 7 weeks old, and she is breastfed, hasnt had one drop of formula :)

My problem is we are still having latch issues. She had her tongue and lip tie clipped, and we have seen the lactation consultant 3 times. I still cant get a deep enough latch with her.

I have spent a lot of time researching, and I think I pinpointed the problem.... The whole "chin first, top second" to get the babies mouth up and over the nipple, and deeper into the mouth.... I cant seem to accomplish it. It has gotten better, but I still get a slight crease in the top of my nipple that is starting to blister, and a bit of pain. I need this to get better, because I cant live in pain all the time!

Please give me tips on a deeper latch! I do the breast sandwich, and try to get her bottom jaw on first but just seem to fail time and time again! Plus I cant get her to open her mouth very wide!!!!

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kilahchaos
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

bump.

piwife
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM
It took me 4 mts to get nursing down... well for us to get it down. She is almost a year and a pro lol. Hand in there. You tube has some good videos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Sandwich, touch your nipple to her nose when she opens her mouth, put chin on where it hits then and then get the rest of her mouth on.  That nipple on the nose things helps you to get the chin low enough.

kilahchaos
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM

thanks. at this point i feel like a failure :/

Quoting piwife:

It took me 4 mts to get nursing down... well for us to get it down. She is almost a year and a pro lol. Hand in there. You tube has some good videos

thundersky
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
What I do is put my nipple on top of her lip when she has opened wide.then let her suck it in when she latches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM
This! Nose to nipple.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Sandwich, touch your nipple to her nose when she opens her mouth, put chin on where it hits then and then get the rest of her mouth on.  That nipple on the nose things helps you to get the chin low enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM
You know when I got breastfeeding down... after 3 kids. Yep. Remember even one drop equals success
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
You have not starved your baby nor sold her to the gypsies, so you may NOT receive the failure award, lol!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM

If you starved her into her grave you'd be a failiure. No other situation qualifies for the mysteriously coveted "failure" badge. **smile**

When latching, use your thumb to pull her chin down. That can get her mouth open farther. 

Quoting kilahchaos:

thanks. at this point i feel like a failure :/

Quoting piwife:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN