Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Constipated baby *ETA* =(

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 32 Replies

Ok, she'll be 6 months on wed and is still EBF. Since about 7pm last night she's been grunting and wimpering on and off, and passing very loud and forceful sounding gas but no poops. She keeps straining like she's pushing so hard but nothing's coming out. It's really normal for her to take a day or two off from pooping but not normal for her to look like she's TRYING so hard. Starting to get a little worried about her, and the day flew by so I can't take her in to see anyone until tomorrow. I don't even know if it's doctor worthy or if I'm just being paranoid, she's acting all around like she has an upset tummy for the last hour-ish. Before that it was really off and on. She's having plenty of wet diapers.

**ETA**

Well my lovely grandmother very sweetly told me she gave her a little piece of her muffin. Ok, you know I don't like that but what's done is done. Then she tells me she really looked like she enjoyed it so she gave her her own entire muffin.... It was a whole wheat apple cinnamon muffin, not huge but more then big enough that I wouldn't have given it ALL to her... Should I be concerned or is it probably ok? She's acting about the same as she was earlier..

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's passing gas, she's not constipated.  Try a warm bath tonight, bicycling her legs, and just keep nursing.  Do NOT give juice, prunes, etc.  Do NOT use a suppository or stick anything in her anus.  Do NOT give any laxatives.  It's extremely rare for ebf babies to be constipated.  The signs are: not able to pass gas, rock hard abdomen, hard pellet stools when it finally passes.

piwife
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Is her tummy soft? As long as she is passing gas and her tummy is soft don't worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Try bicycling her legs and gently pressing her legs up in her belly. Also try massaging her belly in a clockwise direction.

She isn't truly constipated unless she is passing hard pellet like poops.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Oh I wasn't planning on doing anything like it, lol. I'm just a little paranoid sometimes, tummy's soft and she's tooting away so I guess she's just grunting and scowling about the gas. I might've ate something I shouldn't have, I don't watch my diet very much because she usually doesn't have gas issues.

Quoting K8wizzo:

If she's passing gas, she's not constipated.  Try a warm bath tonight, bicycling her legs, and just keep nursing.  Do NOT give juice, prunes, etc.  Do NOT use a suppository or stick anything in her anus.  Do NOT give any laxatives.  It's extremely rare for ebf babies to be constipated.  The signs are: not able to pass gas, rock hard abdomen, hard pellet stools when it finally passes.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

We do the leg bicycling thing often, she thinks it's hilarious.. She passed a LOT of gas a lil while ago when we were doing that, so maybe she's just having gas pains.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Try bicycling her legs and gently pressing her legs up in her belly. Also try massaging her belly in a clockwise direction.

She isn't truly constipated unless she is passing hard pellet like poops.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Yes! All of that. If she develops those symptoms, and you've tried all of those things she suggested and nothing has helped, then I would suggest pear or prune juice. I know prune juice works because it helped my ff daughter, but my son wouldn't drink it. I gave him pear juice and that helped. He had constipation due to his grandparents sneaking lots of food into him.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you weren't planning on any of that.  You'd be surprised at the amount of poor advice moms get when they think baby is constipated.  I forgot another big no-no--no karo syrup (it carries the same botulism risk as honey).

I'll bet it's just some really bad gas.  Once she gets it out, she'll be just fine.

Quoting Zazayam:

Oh I wasn't planning on doing anything like it, lol. I'm just a little paranoid sometimes, tummy's soft and she's tooting away so I guess she's just grunting and scowling about the gas. I might've ate something I shouldn't have, I don't watch my diet very much because she usually doesn't have gas issues.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You know what, she spent a good bit of time with my grandmother yesterday who is ALWAYS trying to sneak her foods.. Has been since she was like a month old, lol. I bet she gave her something that's got her a little upset, I'm going to call and check.

Quoting polkaspots:

Yes! All of that. If she develops those symptoms, and you've tried all of those things she suggested and nothing has helped, then I would suggest pear or prune juice. I know prune juice works because it helped my ff daughter, but my son wouldn't drink it. I gave him pear juice and that helped. He had constipation due to his grandparents sneaking lots of food into him.

Quoting K8wizzo:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Yep. Grandparents are good at hiding things when they want to.

Quoting Zazayam:

You know what, she spent a good bit of time with my grandmother yesterday who is ALWAYS trying to sneak her foods.. Has been since she was like a month old, lol. I bet she gave her something that's got her a little upset, I'm going to call and check.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Is she having any solids, if so, what? Does her belly seem rock hard? If she is passing gas and still having plenty of sets, this is a new "normal" for her. The record number of days without poop in this site is 21, I believe. Bicycling her legs, warm bath may help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN