Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Talk to me about pumping!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 5 Replies

DD is almost 4 weeks old, and she got her very first bottle from DH last night!  I am so thrilled that she will take a bottle without a fight.  It is such a nice difference from her brother!

Now that I know she will take a bottle, I would like to start my freezer stash.  I have an oversupply and over active let down, and the OAL has become TERRIBLE this time.  Little girl is starting to gag and pull off when my milk lets down.  Knowing this, how can I effectively pump to fill my freezer without making the problem with the OAL worse?  The over supply I'm not too worried about, because that will eventually even out.

I have a deep freezer, so I figure I can take advantage of the over supply now and pump what I need and then let it regulate.  Or is this just wishful thinking?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM

You can pump once, first thing in the morning each day.  To deal with the oversupply, block feed.  To deal with the OAL, use uphill positioning where she's on top of your breast and/or express until letdown and catch that first one in a bottle (save it for your stash) and then put her on to nurse.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM
This! Pumping too much will make the OAL and OS worse and take longer for your supply to regulate.

Quoting K8wizzo:

You can pump once, first thing in the morning each day.  To deal with the oversupply, block feed.  To deal with the OAL, use uphill positioning where she's on top of your breast and/or express until letdown and catch that first one in a bottle (save it for your stash) and then put her on to nurse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Are you going back to work or just wanting to pump for a stash? I wouldn't pump more than once a day unless you're separated from the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kapzilla
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I don't work, but there will be times that we will be separated.  That will most likely be during car seat check events since I am a CPST.  Unless my senior checker is cool with me bringing an infant, which may or may not be an issue.

As for the over supply and OAL, I've been doing some block feeding and it has been helping tremendously.  As for the let down, I'm trying to remember to recline myself and position her above my breast, but it's habit to do a cross cradle hold.  Now that the let down is getting really strong I've been taking her off and then offer again after it stops spraying.

Here is a random question though, is there a way to stop multiple let downs in one session?

Quoting aehanrahan:

Are you going back to work or just wanting to pump for a stash? I wouldn't pump more than once a day unless you're separated from the baby.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM
No. There is no way to avoid multiple letdowns.
You could latch in whatever position is comfortable, then lean back to recline and get her above the breast. It will take time for the oversupply to reduce to the demand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)