Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group and have some questions!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi everyone!

My name is Jackie I am a 26 year old mother of twin boys who are 5 and I am expecting a singleton in 23 days! I have some questions about breast feeding even though I did it with my twins. It has been a while so I need to refresh some!

I was told it is bad to use a binky while breastfeeding but my boys were in NICU for 3 weeks and they had binky and bottle and were still able to latch on once I brought them home. I know all babies are different though. I want to use a binky also because I feel it might help reduce the risk of SIDS at least for the first 6 months I would like too.

I never used nipple sheilds but does it still hurt at first if I would and would that cause nipple confusion for the baby? I am having a repeat c section and I worry I may be to out of it at first to feed the baby so I packed a bottle for the baby for SO to be able to feed the baby if needed is that ok or would that risk comfusion as well?

I am only producing clear liquid I thought colostrum was a dark yellow? I think I have something starting in the right boob when I squeeze it lol but nothing in the left.

Please help ladies!!! I am very excited and hope I can do it for longer tha n3 months which is how long I was able to make it with my twins before I succumb to formula because my twins needed iron supplements so it made it hard to stick with BF.

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Don't worry about what's coming out now. Your body is making colostrum whether you see it or not and baby will be able to get it from you. 

I always skipped the pacifier. Some babies do fine, some don't and it just wasn't worth the risk for me. Breastfeeding is protective against SIDS and we always nursed through the night anyway.

Skip the shield. The shield is only for damaged nipples - work on perfecting that latch right away. And don't give a bottle - if you're shooting for more than 3 months, do everything you can to be successful. Tell your doctors to make sure you are able to nurse right away in recovery. NO artificial nipples until baby has a STRONG latch that doesn't hurt. And just count diapers and nurse on demand. :)

trendy2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I have had 3 sections. I was given my baby shortly after birth once I was taken to recovery for me to start nursing. My husband was sent to recovery before me along with our baby and he waited for me there. You won't need a bottle. As for a paci. Two of mine were given them in the hospital within a few hours of birth and one was not. We requested not to used one but our first was given one anyway. BF is hard work but so rewarding. This is my third and she is EBF now for 8 months so far. It's an awesome feeling. I wasn't able to go that long with the other two due to work related pumping issues. You'll do great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Hi and Welcome!!!

Quoting jackieb2811:

Hi everyone!

My name is Jackie I am a 26 year old mother of twin boys who are 5 and I am expecting a singleton in 23 days! I have some questions about breast feeding even though I did it with my twins. It has been a while so I need to refresh some!

I was told it is bad to use a binky while breastfeeding but my boys were in NICU for 3 weeks and they had binky and bottle and were still able to latch on once I brought them home. I know all babies are different though. I want to use a binky also because I feel it might help reduce the risk of SIDS at least for the first 6 months I would like too.

Binkies can cause npple confusion. Not saying they will just they can. Also reatfeedng ithe bst defense against SIDS.  Because breast milk digest so fast, baby wakes oten to eat which is what heps prevent SIDS. 

I never used nipple sheilds but does it still hurt at first if I would and would that cause nipple confusion for the baby?

I wouldnt use one unless there is a need.  It just becomes one thing you would need to wean from and can cause problems where there arent any.

I am having a repeat c section and I worry I may be to out of it at first to feed the baby so I packed a bottle for the baby for SO to be able to feed the baby if needed is that ok or would that risk comfusion as well?

Any artificle nipple can cause nipple prefrence. I would ditch the bottle.  If there is a true need formula the hospital shoul have some on hand for you.  I have had 3 sections and was able to nurse after my last 2 because they were planned and I was better prepaired for them.  You can ask  to nurse right in recovery.

I am only producing clear liquid I thought colostrum was a dark yellow? I think I have something starting in the right boob when I squeeze it lol but nothing in the left.

Please help ladies!!! I am very excited and hope I can do it for longer tha n3 months which is how long I was able to make it with my twins before I succumb to formula because my twins needed iron supplements so it made it hard to stick with BF.

Dont worry about what is coming out right now.  You milk wont come in until after the placenta is delivered.  You will be fine.  We are here if you need us.

:)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM
All of this!
Even if you're too out of it after the C-section, your baby will be fine until you can nurse safely. It was so much easier after my second one than the first.

Quoting shortyali:

Hi and Welcome!!!

Quoting jackieb2811:

Hi everyone!

Binkies can cause npple confusion. Not saying they will just they can. Also reatfeedng ithe bst defense against SIDS.  Because breast milk digest so fast, baby wakes oten to eat which is what heps prevent SIDS. 

I never used nipple sheilds but does it still hurt at first if I would and would that cause nipple confusion for the baby?

I wouldnt use one unless there is a need.  It just becomes one thing you would need to wean from and can cause problems where there arent any.

I am having a repeat c section and I worry I may be to out of it at first to feed the baby so I packed a bottle for the baby for SO to be able to feed the baby if needed is that ok or would that risk comfusion as well?

Any artificle nipple can cause nipple prefrence. I would ditch the bottle.  If there is a true need formula the hospital shoul have some on hand for you.  I have had 3 sections and was able to nurse after my last 2 because they were planned and I was better prepaired for them.  You can ask  to nurse right in recovery.

Dont worry about what is coming out right now.  You milk wont come in until after the placenta is delivered.  You will be fine.  We are here if you need us.

:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Thanks ladies! This really helps! I really do want to bf longer than I did my twins and I was told that if I pump and use a bottle not to try that for at least 2 or 3 weeks. That is fine if that is the case I just really want my SO since this is his first to have that same bonding time even though I will have to pry the baby from him to feed it so really my bonding will be during feeding lol! He supports what I want though. I am just nervous about how I will feel after because with my twins it was so different with them in the hospital and how I felt after but I'm hoping I feel good after this baby and not shakey or in as much pain!
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi and welcome!

I used a pacifier with mine and it was ok, but every baby's different and it can indeed cause confusion.

Daddy can bond just fine without a bottle ;) A lot of the time I lay on my side to feed my little one and daddy snuggles up behind me. They have more eye contact then me and the baby, and it's really a bonding experience for all of us...

Analugojana
by Christine on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Daddy will not have the same bonding experience, as he is not breastfeeding. That does not mean he can have no bonding. Cuddling, holding the baby, rocking him/her, giving a bath, changing a diaper are great bonding opportunities. Giving a bottle is not more of an opportunity than the above but that bottle can set you up for failure in bf. The first 6 weeks are very important for your bf relationship and your supply. If you give a bottle of formula that tells your body it doesn't need to produce that milk. Supply and demand. Also google "virgin gut".

Quoting jackieb2811:

Thanks ladies! This really helps! I really do want to bf longer than I did my twins and I was told that if I pump and use a bottle not to try that for at least 2 or 3 weeks. That is fine if that is the case I just really want my SO since this is his first to have that same bonding time even though I will have to pry the baby from him to feed it so really my bonding will be during feeding lol! He supports what I want though. I am just nervous about how I will feel after because with my twins it was so different with them in the hospital and how I felt after but I'm hoping I feel good after this baby and not shakey or in as much pain!

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
wachala216
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM

i need help please

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Actually, it is recommended to not give a bottle for at least 6 weeks, and never when you're there. He can bond with the baby by doing everything other than feeding, especially with you recovering from a repeat C-section.
Ask for an abdominal binder. It was a lifesaver with my second! It helped hold my stomach so I could move around much easier and in less pain. Was your first a planned section or did you labor first? My second was different because it was planned and easier. The baby was brought to me as soon as I got into recovery. The nurse helped me roll to my side to nurse him since I was still numb from the spinal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Yeah I guess you ladies are right he will have other ways to bond which does make me feel less bad!

My first although my twins were early I did labor for 12 hours before my pre was so bad I decided to have a section for the safety of my babies. Is the belly binder something the hospital will give me? I remember the section being painful but I was up the same day and by weeks end I was ok still a little sore but moving around made recovery much easier.
SO will be there to help he will want to do everything but I told him I need to move around so don't spoil me lol!!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Actually, it is recommended to not give a bottle for at least 6 weeks, and never when you're there. He can bond with the baby by doing everything other than feeding, especially with you recovering from a repeat C-section.

Ask for an abdominal binder. It was a lifesaver with my second! It helped hold my stomach so I could move around much easier and in less pain. Was your first a planned section or did you labor first? My second was different because it was planned and easier. The baby was brought to me as soon as I got into recovery. The nurse helped me roll to my side to nurse him since I was still numb from the spinal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)