Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

small birth weight

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM
  • 43 Replies
I'm going to breastfeed this baby. I'm not giving up like I did with dd.

One thing I am concerned about is dd was only 6lbs3oz at birth. I breastfed in the hospital but because she was small she had to have her sugars checked every so often while we stayed in the hospital. And along with breastfeeding she also got formula.. I don't know why. They just said it'd help with her sugars. Anyways she only lost 2oz from birth to when we left the hospital 3 days later. Which the Dr said was great but unusual. Then I stupidly gave up (because I was pumping too soon and brought way too much pain on myself) and she got only formula from day 4 and so on.

Anyways, I have a feeling this baby will be small too. So is it really necessary to supplement because of sugar levels of small babies?

By the way, NO way I'm pumping for at least a month this time. That was hell. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Ds was preemie and I breastfed well I pumped with no pain and he got breast milk. I did this for 6 weeks my health was really bad and took a toll so I just stopped after that. Ds was 3lbs 4oz and as far as breastfeeding and formula if Ds had been born full term he would have just got formula and that's fine. So I would ignore the fact that your baby is small and just breastfeed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM
My 2nd daughter was 6lbs 11oz and they didn't continuously check her blood sugar or give her formula. She was 6lbs 3oz when we left the hospital.

Colostrum has more than enough sugar, and its easier for baby to digest.
Analugojana
by Christine on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM

My DD was 6 pounds even when she was born, not a preemie. They did check her glucose a lot but it was always ok. I exclusively bf her and all was ok. Have the baby checked for ties, ask for an lc to help with the latch so that the transfer of colostrum is good. Let the baby be on the breast all the time he/she is awake. Do not let the baby go more than 2 hours without bf so that blood sugar is maintained at good levels.

Good luck!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Get baby on the breast immediately after the birth and nurse very often--no longer than 2 hours, but basically anytime that baby makes a noise, moves her head, or put hands to her mouth you should be latching her on.  If her sugars are low, you can hand express some colostrum and spoonfeed it to her.  They've found though that babies who nurse immediately after birth don't have trouble maintaining their blood sugar.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM
They wanted to check DSs sugars before I fed every tiime, and he was 9lbs 11oz at birth. They said if they were too high I should give formula because I might have too much sugar in my milk....huh?!? SMH. I agree with k8wizzo!
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM
NO not normal to keep checking sugars just because baby is small. DD was born at 5lbs 13ozs and they didn't check her sugars. I nursed her for 22 months without one drop of formula.
Keep baby at breast non stop and you don't have to give formula if you don't want to. You have the control there, if they push it you can say no. Also try to keep baby with you at all times and if your LO needs to go to the nursery for any reason either you go too or if your unable have someone else go just in case.
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM

My preemie was 5 lbs and nursed like a champ, no bottles ever : ) no need to supplement - as my 13 lb 3 1/2 month old can attest!

BoxxyBabee
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM

My DD was 6.1oz, 4 weeks early. They never had to check her sugar or anything.  We had a rough start and had to use sugar water to get her to latch but since we've been home from the hospital it's been pure breastmilk (and a banana). She'll be 9mo next week. She's between 14-15lbs now.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Over 6lbs is really not that low of a birth weight...
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Mine weighed 6 lbs 3 oz. It's pretty common to lose a bit of weight at first, too. No supplementing isn't necessary, just keep her on the breast as often as you can. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)