Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Best foods for toddler constipation

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM
  • 28 Replies

My 21 month old seems to be pushing a few times on and off for hours. He only goes every 3 or 4 days. What foods will make able to pass easier?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graycalico
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Prunes, pears, flax
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
poosey08
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Gave him flax oil a bunch of days in a row, didnt help. Cant get him to eat prunes, he's 21 months . Can they hold it at this age?

Quoting graycalico:

Prunes, pears, flax

graycalico
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
He could. Maybe he had one that hurt a bit so he's holding back now. You can do juice. If its only been a couple days I wouldn't stress. My ds has chronic issues with constipation to the point of needing miralax. You can check with your ped first, but if you can tell he needs to go and can't miralax softens it up and isn't habit forming.

Quoting poosey08:

Gave him flax oil a bunch of days in a row, didnt help. Cant get him to eat prunes, he's 21 months . Can they hold it at this age?

Quoting graycalico:

Prunes, pears, flax

CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Grapes work wonders for our princess.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Fruit such as pears, grapes,etc. Whole grains (brown rice, bran etc), probiotics, my kids are very regular and they are taking juice plus (my two yr old takes half as much), we limit diary products, those cause constipation.
poosey08
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Is  3 or 4 days normal? He's still breastfeeding, drinks water, juice and some warm whole milk.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Riasens always helped my son
nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

mix some prune juice and oj but be careful that you don't over do either or you will end up with the opposite problem...also apples, oranges, sometimes even eggs will work.....most fruits except bananas.my son is alost 23 months and I have the same problem with him but he has to see a G.I. Also try 100%juice uncut. Good luck!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Canned mandarin oranges or fresh cherries work wonders for my kiddos.  If he's in pain, give your pedi a call.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Mandarin oranges. It's been mysteriously magical for my kids. We tried everything else that everyone always recommends with no improvement. But darned if those mandarin oranges don't blow everything through. And we didn't get the same results with fresh ones, only the packaged/canned ones.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)