Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transition to bottle

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM
  • 8 Replies
So my dd is now 3 weeks old and we are thinking of switching to bottle feeding but i will still pump her milk..i love breastfeeding i just hate i cant go anywhere without her b.c. She wont take the bottle so how will anyone else feed her..i want to still feed her at night and use bottles during the day but i think that will make transistion harder..anyone have experience with this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Featured Replies
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Quoting yo.momma.:

So my dd is now 3 weeks old and we are thinking of switching to bottle feeding but i will still pump her milk..i love breastfeeding i just hate i cant go anywhere without her b.c. She wont take the bottle so how will anyone else feed her..
As already said, if she won't take the bottle then how does that solve your problem? **smile**
Now, before you go cutting off your nose to spite your face (as the old sdaying goes), try this. Hand baby and bottle to dad. LEAVE. Be gone for two hours, and give dad strict instructions. No phone calls to you except for BLOOD or FLAMES. Following the instructions gets him a special treat. Not following them means he misses out. (You choose the treat... whatever works as a good incentive.)
It's really amazing how well dads do when they're thrown into the pool and forced to swim. And once he does, it really negates the need for you to do a 100% switch. You can go out whenever you please.
i want to still feed her at night and use bottles during the day but i think that will make transistion harder..anyone have experience with this

Switching to exclusive pumping is HARD work. Are you prepared to be on the pump every two hours? You'll actually find you have less time for getting out.

Time for dad to get a trial by bottle!

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Don't make the switch all at once. Start with one bottle and see how it goes. It will be much easier that way. And remember you have to pump every time she gets a bottle. You could always just have her take bottles when you're not with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
How are you going to bottle feed her if she won't even take a bottle?
It sounds like you're making more work for yourself than is necessary?
When you go somewhere, feed right before you go and feed right after you get back, if you're only gone for 2-3 hours, no need to give any bottles.
yo.momma.
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
We already have one bottle..we bought just in case i wasnt around to feed. So far she has taken 2oz from it. But that was a bit of a fight. I've been pumping once a day aince my milk came in so i have a bit of supply in my freezer..

Quoting polkaspots:

Don't make the switch all at once. Start with one bottle and see how it goes. It will be much easier that way. And remember you have to pump every time she gets a bottle. You could always just have her take bottles when you're not with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Quoting yo.momma.:

So my dd is now 3 weeks old and we are thinking of switching to bottle feeding but i will still pump her milk..i love breastfeeding i just hate i cant go anywhere without her b.c. She wont take the bottle so how will anyone else feed her..
As already said, if she won't take the bottle then how does that solve your problem? **smile**
Now, before you go cutting off your nose to spite your face (as the old sdaying goes), try this. Hand baby and bottle to dad. LEAVE. Be gone for two hours, and give dad strict instructions. No phone calls to you except for BLOOD or FLAMES. Following the instructions gets him a special treat. Not following them means he misses out. (You choose the treat... whatever works as a good incentive.)
It's really amazing how well dads do when they're thrown into the pool and forced to swim. And once he does, it really negates the need for you to do a 100% switch. You can go out whenever you please.
i want to still feed her at night and use bottles during the day but i think that will make transistion harder..anyone have experience with this

Switching to exclusive pumping is HARD work. Are you prepared to be on the pump every two hours? You'll actually find you have less time for getting out.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Yep. If you want to switch justbto go out sometimes, why not just give a bottle when you are out? It doesnt have to be all or nothing.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting yo.momma.:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM
She won't starve herself. Keep pumping and have whoever is watching her give her the bottle. I had trouble getting my son to take bottles from me at the beginning. Now he'll take it from whoever gives it to him. It's a lot easier to give it when they're hungry. My dh used to get the bottle when he starts. To get hungry and try every ten minutes when he wouldn't take it. It's a common problem for nursing mothers to have trouble getting their babies to take bottles, but even if they take an ounce every two hours, that's better than nothing and they're getting the bare minimum. My advice is keep trying. It sounds like you'll have an easier time if you just save the bottles for when you're not the one feeding her.

Quoting yo.momma.:

We already have one bottle..we bought just in case i wasnt around to feed. So far she has taken 2oz from it. But that was a bit of a fight. I've been pumping once a day aince my milk came in so i have a bit of supply in my freezer..

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Yep, what they said!

Quoting Precious333:

Yep. If you want to switch justbto go out sometimes, why not just give a bottle when you are out? It doesnt have to be all or nothing.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting yo.momma.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM
I had to do bottles because I work. I'd have NEVER use d bottles, aside from occasional nights out, if I didn't work.

I agree with G.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)