Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UGH i cant do this anymore!!!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:56 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 7 week old daughter has the worst latch ever, and i feel like we are never going to get it right. She had a tongue and lip tie clipped, so its not that. No matter hat I do, I can't get her to open wide, and get my nipple deep enough. I have seen 2 doctors and 2 lactation consultants. I have researched my ass off, watched countless videos. I tried everything.... nipple to nose, chin to breast, sandwiching the nipple.... pulling chin down, different positions, and nothing. My nipples are cracked and scabbed, and i constantly worry about production since it would seem that she isn't expressing milk correctly. I live in pain everyday.. I literally get afraid to nurse her because I know it will be excrutiating. I can't shower, put a bra on, wrap a towel around me, or accidently brush against something without nearly being in tears. I have gotten a staph infection from my cracked nipples. I feel almost resentful when she wants to comfort nurse. My husband told me to quit bfing but the thought is unbearable to me, I want this to work sooooo bad. I feel like I have run out of resources, I don't know where else to turn. I feel like I have tried everything. I am ore, and exhausted. I I sh I could nurse laying down so i can sleep, but that hurts even worse. I don't pump enough to exclusively pump either. I need help. I need more resources because going back to the same LCs who tell me the same thing over and over again isn't fixing this problem. I refuse to give up, I just Ned to fix this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SaraSnider
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:15 AM
Idk with all those problems I would try a shield. I'm not a great advisor though so bump
kilahchaos
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:16 AM
I have tried one and she just kind of chews on it :/

Quoting SaraSnider:

Idk with all those problems I would try a shield. I'm not a great advisor though so bump
SaraSnider
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM
O gosh idk that's what she would probably do to a bottle. Its really just what works for you guys. If you quit, you can say you tried and made it to .almost two months.

Quoting kilahchaos:

Quoting SaraSnider:

kilahchaos
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:28 AM
i definently don't want to quit. I just wish it would magically get easier I guess, haha. I'm trying to figure out who else I can talk to that can help besides the LC ftom my hospital.

Quoting SaraSnider:

O gosh idk that's what she would probably do to a bottle. Its really just what works for you guys. If you quit, you can say you tried and made it to .almost two months.

Quoting kilahchaos:

Quoting SaraSnider:

SaraSnider
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM
I'm not helpful, you are using some nipple cream right?

Quoting kilahchaos:

i definently don't want to quit. I just wish it would magically get easier I guess, haha. I'm trying to figure out who else I can talk to that can help besides the LC ftom my hospital.

Quoting SaraSnider:

Quoting kilahchaos:

Quoting SaraSnider:

littlemonaghan
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Is there a local lll you can try?
Are you using lanolin after she nurses and air drying your nipples?
Have you tried different holding positions?
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I had the same issue. My nipples were sooooo sore. I used the nipple shield that you wear under your bra to keep fabric from rubbing them, not the ones you nurse with. Also a lot of lanolin. One of my friends came over for a whole day to help me. She held his head and when he opened his mouth, she latched him on. The only position I could nurse was the football hold when I was by myself. It was the only way i was not in pain. It did work out. He is 10 months and still nursing. good luck.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Hospital LCs are usually the worst. Here's your resource:

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

Sounds like the tie was NIT properly clipped. Or perhaps there's a high palate involved. Are you making sure to correct her latch every single time>? A feeding will take longer as a result. I mention this because often moms will settle for a bad latch because they're tired of correcting.

kilahchaos
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I do settle for a bad latch. Last night, I literally popped the seal 25 times, and we still didnt have it right :P It was 3 in the morning and I just sat there and cried.

Quoting gdiamante:

Hospital LCs are usually the worst. Here's your resource:

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

Sounds like the tie was NIT properly clipped. Or perhaps there's a high palate involved. Are you making sure to correct her latch every single time>? A feeding will take longer as a result. I mention this because often moms will settle for a bad latch because they're tired of correcting.

Ciaodarlings
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I'm sorry you're having such difficulty. :-( My son had latch problems at birth, but the nipple shield I got works wonders. Try LLL and see if they can help. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)