Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what's up with the hand action?? EDIT with info!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:31 AM
  • 7 Replies

Oh MAN! Nathan has been very aware of his hands from even 2 weeks of life. He has always flailed them around and they ALWAYS get in the way when Im trying to get him latched on. Its getting worse as he gets older. I literally have to just wait for him to move them away from his mouth. Latley, towards the end of a feeding, he starts to hit himself in the face and head, I dont know why. I know he doesnt really know he's doing it, but Im worried! He's always sticking his fingers in his eyes and stuff! I normally keep gloves on him while he eats, but its getting warm now, so Ive been taking them off. What is the deal with the hands? Its a bit frustrating, lol! 

I found this artical pretty interesting! 

http://www.bestforbabes.org/science-you-can-use-why-do-my-babys-hands-always-get-in-the-way

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
schultzal
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:40 AM
My daughter is the same. She's 6 months, and sometimes getting her to latch is very difficult, because she is either putting her hand in her mouth, or she is pulling my nipple toward her mouth with both hands. She also hits herself over and over while eating, but she usually hits her diaper. Always makes me chuckle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM
My ten month old does it. Eventually she'll learn it hurts and stop. He doesn't hit himself in the head anymore and stopped poking himself but tries to poke everyone else's eyes out. It's fine. Just redirect his hand if you wish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
my four month old does it too. it's entertaining to say the least. if it makes it hard for him to eat, I just hold his hand, he usually holds my finger when I do that.
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My boy does the same thing. Only on the right side! If he isnt hitting himself in the head, he is trying to put his fingers in my mouth

Quoting Starshine-bela:

my four month old does it too. it's entertaining to say the least. if it makes it hard for him to eat, I just hold his hand, he usually holds my finger when I do that.

nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

LOL I am going through the same thing only when I go to latch she has them in her mouth and I have to pull them out to latch and pray she doesn't sneak them in when I go to latch her and then when she is about done she starts with the crazy failing thing or lately she has been grabbing ahold of me and pinching my boob and has actually buised me.....what we endure to keep them at their heathiest : )

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
haha, mine is the left. it's too funny

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

My boy does the same thing. Only on the right side! If he isnt hitting himself in the head, he is trying to put his fingers in my mouth

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Derek has learned how to clasp his hands together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)