Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Share your birth story

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 18 Replies

As I am in the group, reading through moms posts, I notice that a lot of moms have had scary birth stories and had trouble breastfeeding successfully afterwards. Other moms had perfect births and still had issues and there are also those stories that end with a successful breastfeeding relationship.

Share your story to help other moms. 

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nickigoingon8
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Well I have 8 birth stories so I will make them short but sweet....my first was about 6 and a half hours of labor and I was induced she wasn't progressing as fast as the doc would have liked so he kept upping my pitocin and I had blood pressure issues after birth(only for one day) but both of us ended up ok and I breastfed her for only about a week( I was young and it wasn't for me at that point).Baby 2 was about 5 hours of labor she had a mec movement before I could get her out and was kept at the hospital for a week for jaudice. I still lived in my parents house and they wouldn't allow me to have her so I gave her up for adoption. It is open and I see her every year and talk to her once a week. babies 3,4,5 and 6 were both awesome deliveries quick and both were breastfed for about 2 months. I had a crazy work schedule and that was all I could do. So here comes my difficult baby.. I went to the hospital about 6 hours after I thought I was having braxtons...nothing timable until then...got to the hospital said I wanted the epidural got in the bed nurse checked me and I was already dialated to 10...in my mind that was awesome. I was thinking break my water, push a couple of times and be done and get to hold my baby....WRONG doc came in and said I feel something and I replied..yeah it's a baby head...and he said no it is feet....after 6 vaginal births comes my first c-section...there were some complications during the section...my muscles all clamped up and they couldn't get him out...finally got him out..I nursed him for only two and a half months because between my cracked nipples and his very red butt it was just awful...but baby 8 was a planned cs but she came early and ended up in NICU for 8 days on oxygen and a feeding tube. I couldn't even touch her for 3 days after I had her and couldn't hold her for 6 but she has been breastfeeding ever since and is a champ...we are almost to 5 months now!!!!  I wouldn't change how anything has ever worked out!!!!

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM
My nurslings birth story:
My blood pressure was rising over the last month so my midwife finally decided to induce me at 38+5 because of my past history with pre e. I went in at midnight and started cervadil. Pitocin started at 7. At 9 I was already four ccentimeters and she broke my water. Shortly after I was ready for my epi. I slept the rest of the time. I was ready to push at 2. I pushed for 2 hours. everything looked fine but as he was coming out he turned blue and my midwife realized he had a very tight nuchal cord. She had to quickly cut it. He went straight to the nurse practitioners. They had to give him a few puffs of oxygen and he pinked straight up. he was born at 4:02 at 8 pounds 7 ounces 21.75" Long. I needed two stitches for "skidmarks". We nursed with half an hour and then he had a bath. I really think what hindered our breastfeeding was them wanting to check his sugars before every feeding and he also has a tongue tie that his pedi refuses to clip.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kapzilla
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

DS1 -- Born Nov 30, 07.  Spontaneous start of labor around 10am, went to the hospital at 1pm, only 3cm.  I was a fingertip dilated the day before, so progress.  Yay.  Went home and got something to eat.  Took a bath, and then the contractions came on strong.  Went back to L&D at 5:45pm, still 3cm.  Went walking for an hour and was rechecked at 7pm.  4cm and admitted!  I asked for an epidural and received it, and continued to labor.  Doctor broke my water and I was at 5cm.  I watched some tv and took a few naps.  2:30am rolls along and I was finally 10cm.  DS1 was born at 3:22am!  I was given pitocin after birth because I started bleeding heavily.  From start to finish it was about 18 hours.  DS nursed within 30 minutes of birth.  Went to have a great nursing relationship for 15 months.

DS2, born January 23, '11.  Water started leaking day before his birth, and had it confirmed at roughly 9:30 that evening.  Ultrasound showed very low fluid, so I was admitted right then at 37w1d.  I was essentially induced afterwards.  Cervix was very favorable and I was already 2-3cm dilated.  I was started on pitocin at 12:30.  My nurses were so nice and did a gradual increase every time they checked my blood sugar.  By 5am I asked for an epidural because I got tired of hearing my DH snore.  After the epidural took effect they amped up my pitocin.  At this point I was 5cm.  7:30 my water breaks on its own, still only 5cm.  DS started deceling bad, and I was put on oxygen.  I could only lay on my side, and every time I moved another decel.  I seriously thought it was gonna be a c-section, but then things leveled out.  DH leaves to be with our ODS in case he woke up early... only for me to call him back after 30ish minutes.  I went from 5cm to 10cm insanely fast.  We spent most of the time waiting for my doctor to get back to the hospital.  Pushed for 10 minutes, and DS2 was born at 9:06am.  It was about 9 hours from the start of pitocin to birth.  With him nursing was terrible and I hated it.  His latch was terrible from the start, and no one seemed to be able to help us.  I then discovered he had an upper lip tie (not sure of tongue tie though) during his first dental visit.  I wanted to quit nursing him and switch to pumping so many times, but I really had no option.  He rejected bottles completely, so I was stuck with nursing.  We continued until he was 21 months, and I forced him to wean during pregnancy as it was becoming extremely uncomfortable to nurse him.

DD, born March 27, '13.  After a week of prodromal labor, I woke to contractions at 6:45am.  Coming between 5-8 minutes apart.  Finally got out of bed at 8:10 and as soon as I stood up they started coming on hard.  I stopped timing them.  I started doing my regular morning routine until I had to stop and breathe through them.  That quickly turned into not being able to talk through them.  I was on the phone with my DH telling him that he had to come home.  DS1 was still asleep, and I turned on the tv for DS2.  I went and took a shower (even managed to wash my hair!  lol), to work through the contractions which were coming every few minutes.  DH got home at 9:30, and we left for the hospital at 9:50.  DH dropped me off at the front entrance and went to the park our car and get the kids out.  We were still waiting for our friend to arrive to get our boys.  I got up to L&D around 10:25 (that was one hell of a walk.. some cruel person put L&D on the 4th floor and the elevators were basically in the middle of the hospital!).  I'm sent to the exam room, and I guess just by the nurse seeing how I'm reacting to contractions they started prepping a room for me.  Midwife came in and checked me, and I was already at 6cm.  DH was in the room with our boys, and our friend finally got there.  So DH took the boys down and switched our DS2's car seat over to her car.  Had an IV put in and did some lab work for an epidural.  Then.. things went fast.  I was there for maybe 15 minutes and was already 9cm.  It was obvious that I didn't have time for an epidural, so I actually said "screw it, I guess I have to do this without."  They stopped my IV and left just the hep lock, and let me out of bed to work through the contractions.  I was still waiting for DH to get back from the parking lot, and then the urge hit.  This weird sensation of wanting to lie down came over me, so I got back in bed.  Sure enough, only a small lip of cervix was left.  DH got back just in time and was so surprised to know that it was that time already.  I'm not sure how long I pushed, but I did remember to ask for a mirror.  This whole time my water was intact, and it did not rupture until I was actively pushing.  That was INSANE seeing it go everywhere.  My midwife even warned everyone because she was like "just so you know, all of you are in the splash zone."  LOL, sure enough.. they got wet.  Even DH who was up by my shoulder got a little bit.  Unreal.  Pushing felt so much better after my water broke.  After all was said and done, DD was born at 11:03am.  From start to finish, it was about 4 hours and 15 minutes.  Completely all natural, and that was very empowering.  I never had ANY intention of having a natural labor and birth, but I experienced it anyway.

Breastfeeding was initiated maybe 15 minutes after her birth, and she latched BEAUTIFULLY!  It has been a wonderful experience so far.  Only time minor pain and some blistering at first, but now her latch is completely pain free.  I do have issues with an over supply and forceful let down, but we're working to correct it with some block feeding and positioning.  Usually I release her latch when my milk lets down and relatch her after.  This is such a beautiful change from my last nursing experience.

So based on this, I really want to say natural birth (spontaneous start ending with a vaginal birth) helps.  DS2 was my terrible nurser, and that labor was definitely augmented. 

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Caroline's birth story

My due date was 4/1. My BP was a little high & I had swelling. My doctor didn't want me to go over 41 weeks, so we scheduled an induction for 4/4.

I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 dilated to a 3 & 60% effaced. Pitocin was started by 8:30.

I spent most of the day just waiting for things to get started. Around 5:30-6:00, my contractions were strong enough I needed to breathe through them. I wasn't miserable at yet.

My pitocin had already been at the max dose for hours, so my doctor came by around 8:00 and asked to break my water. At this point, I was dilated to 6-7 & 70% effaced. In her experience, with 2nd & subsequent pregnancies, women can stay in labor for hours if their water hasn't broken, but once it's broken, things really speed up. I agreed to let her break my water.

She broke my water around 8:00. There was meconium in my amniotic fluid which really scared me! I was crying I was so upset about it, but my doctor assured me it was light & she wasn't worried.

Because I've always gone from a 6-7 to complete in a short amount of time, my doctor stayed at that point which was really nice!

She was right about things speeding up after breaking my water! Almost immediately my contractions were much closer and much stronger! I was absolutely in pain at this point.

My hope was to go natural, so I waited an hour to have her check me; if I had made a lot of progress, I would continue without an epidural. In an hour I had gone from a 6-7 to a 7-8. I opted for the epidural.

The anesthesiologist was absolutely amazing! He placed the epidural quickly. This was around 9:00. The worst part was that terrible "zing" on my left side--it had never been as strong as it was this time around. It was strong enough I involuntarily shouted. It completely freaked me out, and I started crying--both because I was scared and relieved!

30 minutes later at 9:30, I was fully dilated with an anterior lip on my cervix. I could feel my contractions, but I didn't have too much pressure or an urge to push, so I just labored down for a while.

By 10:00, my contractions were incredibly strong--I was needing to breathe through them & I had an urge to push. Each contraction was stronger and the urge to push was stronger. The nurse called for anyone else who needed to be there.

Shortly after, I told the my doctor I needed to push. She got her gear on and checked me one final time. She said the baby was right there! Only my nurse, my doctor, and a NP for the baby (because of the meconium) made it to the room.

On the next contraction, I pushed gently and her head came out. I had to stop pushing because the cord was wrapped around her neck. The doctor clamped and cut it. I then pushed gently again and her body was delivered. I'm not sure I pushed for 2 minutes! I had no tears, rips, or stitches.

She did cry right away, but they wanted to check her out. She was in the warmer while I was waiting to deliver the placenta. The nurse went ahead and weighed her. I nursed her after the placenta was delivered. She latched right on and nursed for at least 30 minutes.

Her breathing was rapid, though, so they took her to the nursery to monitor her. Her oxygen was also a little lower than they wanted. They kept her for about 2 hours--and everything looked great by then!

Caroline was born @10:22 PM 4/4
7 pounds 4 ounces
19 3/4 inches long

Breastfeeding info:
When she was a week old, I sat and cried all day because nursing hurt so bad. I had successfully nursed two other children, so I knew something wasn't right. My doctor prescribed ointment for my nipples. We saw a LC who confirmed a TT. We had the TT clipped 2 days later. Now, at nearly 3 weeks, nursing is on track!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

My last was a beautiful home water birth. I was in labor for 4 hours, it was amazing. My son was born in water after pushing a few mins. He weighed 9 even and nursed right away. We waited to cut the cord till after the placenta came and my oldest son cut it.

It all started with bloody show around 9am. I got my firdt contraction at 11am, the second was 20mins later and then they came 5 mons apart I took a bath which slowed them to 5-7 mins apart but once I got out they went to 2 mins. My midwife arrived at 1.30 and I was 7cm. At 2.30 I got in the pool and 5 contractions later my water broke (2.50)  I had a few mins rest before my first urge to push and he was born 5 mins later at 3pm

We never had a issue with nursing, he actually didn't lose any weight after birth which was exciting. He is now two and it went so fast!

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I have only given birth twice and my youngest DS is my only breastfed baby. I truly believe that the difference in their births has to do with my successful breastfeeding.

With my oldest I had an OB. I was induced. I had an epidural. I had a third degree tear and was not allowed to even try and breastfeed until they got me stitched up, my doctor even yelled at me when I moved trying to get the nurse to hand me my baby. When I finally was able to BF I was being rushed because there were so many people wanting to come in and meet the baby. I had been pushing for over 5 hours and people started coming up to the hospital when they heard I was pushing.

My second go around I had a midwife. I went into labor on my own. I had a completely natural birth even though at the end I was yelling at the nurse to give me drugs, but by that point I was too far gone. I actually yelled at the nurse "hurry up with those drugs I feel like I need to push." When she told me if I needed to push I couldn't have the drugs I told her I lied. But by that point she had lifted my blanket to see he was crowning.

He was born in I kid you not 1 push. My midwife only had time to put on one glove and catch. She handed me my baby and he went straight to the breast. The nurses wiped him down as he was feeding. Somewhere in between there they did do a quick assessment of DS and DH cut the cord. But it was very quick, like I blinked and he was back in my arms.

Now here is where my midwife went from great to awesome...

I was starting to bleed pretty heavily and my midwife couldn't find the source. She was talking about calling the OB in and even told one of the nurses to alert the OR. I remembered how my first OB wouldn't let me hold my DS while she was working on me, so I asked my midwife if I needed to hand my baby over to someone else. Her response "only if you want to." Of course I didn't want to, but I wanted her to get the bleeding stopped. When she saw how I was getting a little panicked she added "if your feeling weak someone else can take the baby, but what would really help me right now is if you keep nursing. You just focus on that baby and I will focus on what's going on down here, okay sweetie?" She said it in such a calm and sweet way, it was like she was offering me candy.

She did get the bleeding under control, but she had to give me some kind of drug to do so, I don't remember what it was. For that reason they didn't want the baby to stay in the room with me, they even put a catheter in because they didn't want me walking and risk rehemoraging (spell?). At this point I started to get really upset.

Annddd this is where my midwife went from awesome to worlds BEST...

My midwife told the nurses that they were find someone to stay with me so I could keep my baby in the room as much as possible. She told them to find a CNA, an intern someone and if they couldn't find anyone she would stay herself.

The only time my baby left my room was to get a bath and more tests done (which my DH went with) and the next morning at shift change while I was getting a shower (because they were finally letting me up).

I did get a little aggravated at how long it took then to bring him back after his bath, but that was just because they did extra tests because he measured smaller than he should have been. He was born at almost 38 weeks and was not even measuring 37 weeks. They also said his chest sounded mucousy.

But all in all my second birth was MUCH better. I was also older and more knowledgeable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I have four.  I planned on bfing before I even got married (let alone pregnant or delievering), so I nursed each of them right out of the proverbial box. lol

My BFing stories are these:
#1: I nursed until I got pregnant with #2 (8 mos); didn't feel good about nursing while pregnant; it worked out well, b/c she was weaned and turned out to be a very sensative sort; I don't think things would have gone well if she had to "share" BFing w/ her sister and she wasn't thrilled about keeping her in the first place.

#2: I nursed until I felt like I couldn't physically handle producing milk and chasing a toddler around; PPD played a big role in stopping at 6 mos.

#3: I nursed until I figured out that there was no three COWS who could produce "enough" milk for this lil guy; well, not and keep the house clean-ish and chase around 2 toddlers.  (This one was born about a month and a half before #1 turned 4.  Very difficult to have three under four, or five for that matter.)

#4: This one came along 6 years after #3 was born (and 10 after #1).  I nursed fulltime until 10 mos and got pregnant when I stopped daytime nursing.  Kept nursing at night through the five mos I was preggers.  (15 mos old).  I stopped when a m/c landed me in the hospital overnight and DH took care of #4 for about a week.  It was EXTREMELY difficult to wean this one (even cold turkey; and I don't mean engorgment).  For MONTHS afterward, this one kept trying to crawl down my shirt after "nee-nee".  I almost gave in many times, but I knew that I had to stick with not nursing anymore b/c I didn't want to be nursing at age 5 or whatever.  Also, apparently b/c of the m/c, I kept lactating for about a year or more afterward.

Hope this is informative for someone. :)

LilliansMama27
by Candy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Lillian Michelle's birth story

I was a day shy of 38 weeks when I had my OB appt and when she checked my cervix I was 2cm dilated and fully effaced. She said I could go into labor any time...tonight, tomorrow, next week or even on my due date. She said she didn't think I would make it to my due date...boy was she right!

I got up that night at 1:15am for a potty break and while I was peeing I felt something that reminded me of a balloon popping or a rubber band snapping. All I could think was "Uh oh! Was that what I think it was?" And sure enough I kept leaking and my contractions started. I called the doctor, told her my water broke and after my husband took a shower and put our stuff in the car we were on our way. That was a horrible ride! He kept calling people as I'm screaming and moaning in pain through my contractions when I finally said "Could you please stop calling every body right now?!? I'm having a hard time enough as it is without worrying about you talking and driving!!!! CALL THEM LATER DAMMIT!" (Lol I laugh now, but I was serious!)

Got to the hospital and he had forgotten which entrance to go to and I was screaming and crying saying "I hate you so much right now!!!" Then not even a minute later saying "I'm sorry! I don't hate you! I love you so much, but I just am in so much pain and I need to get inside!!!" Finally get inside, make it to the elevator and I have another contraction where I'm crouching down in pain. Get off the elevator into labor and delivery and they have me stand there and fill out a little 3 x 5 admission form (what's the point of pre-admission paperwork?!?!?) and I barely get halfway through it when I have another contraction and I crouch down again, clawing the side of the desk all the way down lol.

The nurse at the desk realizes I'm in a lot more pain than they expected me to be in as I'm just arriving to the hospital so she takes me back right away to check my cervix. Low and behold I was 9 cm dilated! Now I'm freaking out and crying because I think back to my birthing class and remembering that at this point they don't always let you have an epidural and I knew that I would have been in sooooooo much more pain without it so I begged her through tears "Tell me I'm still going to be able to have the epidural?!" She said "If you think you can sit still long enough for him to administer it then you can. Do you think you can do that?" And with the biggest fake smile I said "YES! I will do my damnedest!!!" After the epidural I was so much more comfortable. Before it I was clawing the bed, the bed rails, my husbands arm and flopping around like I was acting out a scene in 'the Excorist' lol

After sleeping for about an hour they woke me up and told me I was ready to push. So they gave my husband and sheet and me the other end (tug-o-war style) and had me practice using the muscles I would need to push. After 1 and a half pushes baby girl was out! My doctor told me to reach down after the first push to feel her head and I was amazed! They cleaned her off a little after cutting the cord and placed her on my chest. She tried nursing a little, but we couldn't get the latch right after many tries so she was taken after about half an hour of skin-to-skin to be weighed and measured (right in my room).

It was a whirlwind after that. I just remember looking at her with my husband and looking at her on the scale across the room thinking "My God! She came out of ME?!" She looked really long on the scale! She was 8lb 7oz and 20.5in long on 12/27/12 at 6:07am. 5 hours of labor and delivery! I was not expecting it to go that fast! Breastfeeding went well. She nursed every 2-3 hours. Her latch wasn't perfect, but the LC helped (she wasn't opening her mouth wide enough so I needed to do TMJ massage when she wasn't nursing and hold her chin down when she was latching and nursing). No one spoke of formula. The nurses had me track every nursing and diaper.

Seeing her thrive on nothing but my breast milk was so amazing to me...still is! 

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I agree with everything you said!

My DH was also surprised at how fast everything happened, I guess that is common with second and third births. He ended up missing the actual birth. My mom had sent him to get food. He walked in right a they were laying DS on my chest.

Quoting kapzilla:

DS1 -- Born Nov 30, 07.  Spontaneous start of labor around 10am, went to the hospital at 1pm, only 3cm.  I was a fingertip dilated the day before, so progress.  Yay.  Went home and got something to eat.  Took a bath, and then the contractions came on strong.  Went back to L&D at 5:45pm, still 3cm.  Went walking for an hour and was rechecked at 7pm.  4cm and admitted!  I asked for an epidural and received it, and continued to labor.  Doctor broke my water and I was at 5cm.  I watched some tv and took a few naps.  2:30am rolls along and I was finally 10cm.  DS1 was born at 3:22am!  I was given pitocin after birth because I started bleeding heavily.  From start to finish it was about 18 hours.  DS nursed within 30 minutes of birth.  Went to have a great nursing relationship for 15 months.

DS2, born January 23, '11.  Water started leaking day before his birth, and had it confirmed at roughly 9:30 that evening.  Ultrasound showed very low fluid, so I was admitted right then at 37w1d.  I was essentially induced afterwards.  Cervix was very favorable and I was already 2-3cm dilated.  I was started on pitocin at 12:30.  My nurses were so nice and did a gradual increase every time they checked my blood sugar.  By 5am I asked for an epidural because I got tired of hearing my DH snore.  After the epidural took effect they amped up my pitocin.  At this point I was 5cm.  7:30 my water breaks on its own, still only 5cm.  DS started deceling bad, and I was put on oxygen.  I could only lay on my side, and every time I moved another decel.  I seriously thought it was gonna be a c-section, but then things leveled out.  DH leaves to be with our ODS in case he woke up early... only for me to call him back after 30ish minutes.  I went from 5cm to 10cm insanely fast.  We spent most of the time waiting for my doctor to get back to the hospital.  Pushed for 10 minutes, and DS2 was born at 9:06am.  It was about 9 hours from the start of pitocin to birth.  With him nursing was terrible and I hated it.  His latch was terrible from the start, and no one seemed to be able to help us.  I then discovered he had an upper lip tie (not sure of tongue tie though) during his first dental visit.  I wanted to quit nursing him and switch to pumping so many times, but I really had no option.  He rejected bottles completely, so I was stuck with nursing.  We continued until he was 21 months, and I forced him to wean during pregnancy as it was becoming extremely uncomfortable to nurse him.

DD, born March 27, '13.  After a week of prodromal labor, I woke to contractions at 6:45am.  Coming between 5-8 minutes apart.  Finally got out of bed at 8:10 and as soon as I stood up they started coming on hard.  I stopped timing them.  I started doing my regular morning routine until I had to stop and breathe through them.  That quickly turned into not being able to talk through them.  I was on the phone with my DH telling him that he had to come home.  DS1 was still asleep, and I turned on the tv for DS2.  I went and took a shower (even managed to wash my hair!  lol), to work through the contractions which were coming every few minutes.  DH got home at 9:30, and we left for the hospital at 9:50.  DH dropped me off at the front entrance and went to the park our car and get the kids out.  We were still waiting for our friend to arrive to get our boys.  I got up to L&D around 10:25 (that was one hell of a walk.. some cruel person put L&D on the 4th floor and the elevators were basically in the middle of the hospital!).  I'm sent to the exam room, and I guess just by the nurse seeing how I'm reacting to contractions they started prepping a room for me.  Midwife came in and checked me, and I was already at 6cm.  DH was in the room with our boys, and our friend finally got there.  So DH took the boys down and switched our DS2's car seat over to her car.  Had an IV put in and did some lab work for an epidural.  Then.. things went fast.  I was there for maybe 15 minutes and was already 9cm.  It was obvious that I didn't have time for an epidural, so I actually said "screw it, I guess I have to do this without."  They stopped my IV and left just the hep lock, and let me out of bed to work through the contractions.  I was still waiting for DH to get back from the parking lot, and then the urge hit.  This weird sensation of wanting to lie down came over me, so I got back in bed.  Sure enough, only a small lip of cervix was left.  DH got back just in time and was so surprised to know that it was that time already.  I'm not sure how long I pushed, but I did remember to ask for a mirror.  This whole time my water was intact, and it did not rupture until I was actively pushing.  That was INSANE seeing it go everywhere.  My midwife even warned everyone because she was like "just so you know, all of you are in the splash zone."  LOL, sure enough.. they got wet.  Even DH who was up by my shoulder got a little bit.  Unreal.  Pushing felt so much better after my water broke.  After all was said and done, DD was born at 11:03am.  From start to finish, it was about 4 hours and 15 minutes.  Completely all natural, and that was very empowering.  I never had ANY intention of having a natural labor and birth, but I experienced it anyway.

Breastfeeding was initiated maybe 15 minutes after her birth, and she latched BEAUTIFULLY!  It has been a wonderful experience so far.  Only time minor pain and some blistering at first, but now her latch is completely pain free.  I do have issues with an over supply and forceful let down, but we're working to correct it with some block feeding and positioning.  Usually I release her latch when my milk lets down and relatch her after.  This is such a beautiful change from my last nursing experience.

So based on this, I really want to say natural birth (spontaneous start ending with a vaginal birth) helps.  DS2 was my terrible nurser, and that labor was definitely augmented. 

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

My odd I had prodromal labor for about three weeks (35 weeks on) and moderately low fluids.  By the time I was close to 38 weeks, I was so sick and nauseated I was eating only ramen noodles and baked potatoes.  My ob decided a pitocin augmentation would be best at that point.  Six hours later, no pain meds, I had odd, she latched right on and stayed latched for, oh, the next three months or so while I was home with her, and then while DH recovered from the brain surgery he had when she was six weeks old.  I nursed her until she was twenty months old and I was five months pregnant- hormones changed the milk.

Ydd was in a bit more of a hurry.  I had low fluids with her too, and while I gained forty pounds with odd, I gained only fifteen with ydd, so my ob was watching us closely.  The Sunday before I had her I had my friend run us in to the hospital because I was certain I was leaking fluids.  They tested, patted my knee, and told me (basically) I was overreacting and overeager to have the baby and I just needed to go home and rest.  Three days later I had my fluids checked and the u/s tech had a hard time finding fluid, the levels were estimated at MAYBE four percent.  Up to the hospital for an emergency induction- didn't take long, about four and a half hours since I was already mildly contracting.  Ydd had a lot of breathing issues, she was in the nursery for ten days, got to start tube feeds on day five, and try latching on day seven- she was great at it, despite her tiny size, her head was the size of an orange and fit completely in my hand.  I was pumping non stop this whole time, one of the nurses took our cash we had for the pump we realized we needed and bought the pump for us using her hospital discount.  She is a few months over two now and still nursing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN