Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding beyond the first year

Posted by   + Show Post

I am currently nursing my almost 15 month old.  She is my third child.  I nursed my first for 7 months (when I found out I was prego) and my second for 14 months.  I don't plan on weaning any time soon. In fact I am planning on letting my LO set the course.  We nurse about 6-8 times a day including at least one night time feeding. I pretty much let her nurse whenever she asks (ie sticking her hands down my shirt! LOL) and befoer nap time and bedtime. Needless to say, we love it and are very happy!

Of course at the point everyone is starting to ask, "when are you going to wean" and "isn't she getting a little big for that?" Even my mom who nursed me for a year is getting her nudges in.  I ususally say, "I am letting her self wean when she is ready". But, this doesn't seem like enough. I still get the sideways glares and people questioning me.

What do you say about nursing your toddler? I don't want to sound like a know-it-all but people are so damn ignorant!  

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't say shit.

"When will you wean?"
"I don't know."
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:23 AM
I usually respond with something stupid like whenever he's old enough to make himself a sandwich. I was at IHOP once and someone asked, and I said something about him getting his own meal when he can order it himself. He then ate a sausage and half of my omelette. It's usually a stranger or some acquaintance who knows next to nothing about me to begin with that asks. All the important people already knew my bfing plans before he was born. My mother in law has asked quite a few times, but I don't remember what I used to tell her. She makes me nervous and I babble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

sound like a know it all. ;) Just give facts. If they don't want to listen then either say "my doctor said to" or "this is our choice and I trust that you will respect me as a mother."

mamatiff06
by Tiff on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM
2 moms liked this
i nursed my daughter till 2.5 :) she just turned 3 sunday. told people milks too much money this is cheaper lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM

When people say anything I just say I'm letting her nurse until she's done. If they are open to discussing it I do, but if it seems they just want to get in a few snide comments I cut the conversation off (politely). The longer you BF the more of those comments you're going to get so it's better to just ignore them, or change the subject in a way that the person knows you aren't going to discuss weaning anymore. My DD is going to be 27 months soon and my mum was OK BFing until a year, then when I passed a year she was Ok until DD was two, and no that she's two she's saying if I'm still BFing after DD turns three she will think it's a bit weird, and I told her I guess we'll be weird then. It doesn't bother me, I know she just has a different perception of what BFing should be. Her youngest kid is 30 so that tells me she's a bit out of the loop as far as BFing info goes so I don't let it bother me. You just have to learn to change the subject, and to let a lot roll off your back.

kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I just say the WHO recommends nursing until at least age 2 - and the benefits continue through toddler hood even after that.

I tell them kindergarten is my limit, so don't worry, i'll stop before school! LOL

TRS4
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

the womanly art of breastfeeding had a saying "i was plannig on going to collage with him". a woman who had had a baby at the same time as i did said to me once i would hate to be thought of as the food sorce i told her she was even though she bottle feed 

babydue1105
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I would tell them you will wean when they wean themselves from being so nosey....bet you could nurse forever!!
kss12
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I say what you say "he'll wean himself", or "if both baby and I love it and there are no medical reasons to quit why would I change anything? If it ain't broke don't fix it", some days I just don't feel like explaining myself so I simply say "he'll for sure be weaned by 4 years old"
Good job mama! My ds just turned 14 months and he nurses the same amount. Once he wants to stop we'll stop :)
kss12
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I was the one who felt like a food source as ds would cry if I was holding him unless he had the boob in the mouth for the first few weeks.. Dh said the exact same thing which put it into perspective for me! That's a golden come back :)

Quoting TRS4:

the womanly art of breastfeeding had a saying "i was plannig on going to collage with him". a woman who had had a baby at the same time as i did said to me once i would hate to be thought of as the food sorce i told her she was even though she bottle feed 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)