Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Curious kids

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was in the church nursery feeding my daughter under a cover when a very curious little girl came over and lifted up and peeked down my cover and asked all sorts of questions. I thought it was cute I just hope her parents have a sense of humor.

Whatcha doing? (Feeding the baby)

What are you feeding her? (Milk)

Where's the bottle? (I don't have one)

How are you feeding her then? (With my body)

From your belly? Is your belly open? (No.)

It made me giggle, and also a little sad that she had ever seen a baby fed that way.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meg4763
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

That is so cute! I am kind of wondering how my 6yo son is going to react when he sees me nurse his sister in a few months. He was breastfed for approx 6 weeks, but there was a long sad list of why we had to stop, so he is not familiar with that way of feeding either really.  I don't want it to be awkward for him, so we have talked about it a little, but it makes him laugh.  I may have to cover up more than I had planned, lol!

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Even my 2 who have seen a baby fed that way have asked those questions of others. Lol that is cute though

BabyFruit Ticker

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Oh heavens please don't cover up just because he's curious! He'll never learn how normal it is if its hidden from him! My girls weren't nursed past 6 & 8 weeks and were 4 and 6 when my son was born. We talked about it and I answered their questions. They are now 11 & 9 and know its normal. 

Quoting meg4763:

That is so cute! I am kind of wondering how my 6yo son is going to react when he sees me nurse his sister in a few months. He was breastfed for approx 6 weeks, but there was a long sad list of why we had to stop, so he is not familiar with that way of feeding either really.  I don't want it to be awkward for him, so we have talked about it a little, but it makes him laugh.  I may have to cover up more than I had planned, lol!

BabyFruit Ticker

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM

So cute!!! .... My 8 years old breastfed nephew asked those questions when he saw me nursing my son. He hadn't seen someone breastfeeding before since his 2.5 years old sister wasn't bf due a stupid and incompetent pediatrician (worst thing is I recommend him to my sister, since he is the brother of a good friend).

meg4763
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Well, every time we have talked about it, or just out of the blue, he will say, "I want to see your boobs." Then, he will laugh and think it's hilarious. He hasn't seen me naked since he was probably 3 or so.  It doesn't bother me him seeing my boobs,  but I just don't know how to make it appropriate for him.  I am kind of worried about NIP and I want him to not be like that out in public. What would you suggest? It's like he is a boob man all of a sudden. :)

Quoting mamabens:

Oh heavens please don't cover up just because he's curious! He'll never learn how normal it is if its hidden from him! My girls weren't nursed past 6 & 8 weeks and were 4 and 6 when my son was born. We talked about it and I answered their questions. They are now 11 & 9 and know its normal. 

Quoting meg4763:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

You teach him about appropriateness. It's inappropriate and rude to talk about or ask to see people's  breasts anywhere. I'm not positive on exact ways to teach him as I've ever encountered it personally, but I think I would treat it as any other inappropriate behavior. 

Quoting meg4763:

Well, every time we have talked about it, or just out of the blue, he will say, "I want to see your boobs." Then, he will laugh and think it's hilarious. He hasn't seen me naked since he was probably 3 or so.  It doesn't bother me him seeing my boobs,  but I just don't know how to make it appropriate for him.  I am kind of worried about NIP and I want him to not be like that out in public. What would you suggest? It's like he is a boob man all of a sudden. :)

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting meg4763:

BabyFruit Ticker

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM

My niece was that way with our last visit and she' 7.  What's sad to me is that her father just had a baby (her half brother) and is apparently being formula fed because she had no idea why I wasn't using a bottle.  Her and her brother were breastfed though.

My kids don't even bat an eye if they see a woman nursing.  They'd probably be curious about a cover though as I don't use one, and none of my friends do either. 

meg4763
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess you're right. It just took me by surprise that he started acting that way.  I'm sure it will be fine as long as I get the point across to him that they will be the baby's food source and there is nothing silly/funny/gross about that.

Quoting mamabens:

You teach him about appropriateness. It's inappropriate and rude to talk about or ask to see people's  breasts anywhere. I'm not positive on exact ways to teach him as I've ever encountered it personally, but I think I would treat it as any other inappropriate behavior. 

Quoting meg4763:

Quoting mamabens:

Quoting meg4763:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM
My older boys have seen me nurse their younger sisters, so many times, that they think absolutely nothing of it. Most kids have questions, you give them answers and they move on. Kids should be taught FIRST that breasts feed babies, boring. ;-) of course they'll catch on to the whole "sexy thing" later. But most people's problems with breastfeeding as that they learned first that breasts were about sex and then can't get past that when they have to deal with breasts feeding babies. Boys who see breastfeeding as the way babies are fed grow up to be supportive husbands.

Quoting meg4763:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM

lol, cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)