Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Letdown questions

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello. Nathan is 7 weeks old and is EBF. As a lot of you know, Ive been doing block feeding because of OAL and oversupply and it has controlled those things greatly. So much so, in fact, that Im worried about my let down in the evenings. I use one breast during the day and the other at night. (12 hour blocks, roughly) In the evenings, when he's fussy and when my breast has been used all day, (usually a few hours before I switch to the other breast for the night) we usually do some cluster/comfort nursing. Last night I noticed that about 1 minute after he latched on, he started whining and I realized that I had not felt the letdown. I didnt feel it 4 minutes later either and he was still whining and pulling off. I switched to side lying in bed and then I felt the let down in my OTHER breast, (the one that had not been used all day) but not in the one I was using. He stopped fussing and started to nurse, so I assume it happened anyway, but....

do you have to feel let down for it to happen?

Is it possible for one breast to let down and not the other one? If so, why does this happen?

What can I do to make let down happen faster? (I never thought I'd ask this one! LOL!)

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Gsanders1224
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:38 AM
Maybe you need to decrease your block? Not exactly sure but i was having OAL issues as well and after 3 weeks of it my milk has regulated and we are now feeding on both breasts each feeding with no issues :) and i ended up having to decrease my blocks because i noticed not having enough milk and then a couple days after i stopped block feeding altogether and we are doing great!
amc103
by Alli on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM

This is great information! Thanks for sharing. :-) Do you mind if I ask, how old was your LO when you started block feeding and how old is your LO now? I started when he was 3.5-4 weeks? He'll be 7 weeks on Thursday, so its about the same amount of time as yoru block feeding duration. 

Quoting Gsanders1224:

Maybe you need to decrease your block? Not exactly sure but i was having OAL issues as well and after 3 weeks of it my milk has regulated and we are now feeding on both breasts each feeding with no issues :) and i ended up having to decrease my blocks because i noticed not having enough milk and then a couple days after i stopped block feeding altogether and we are doing great!

schultzal
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this
In my experience, I don't feel letdown on the side my daughter is latched on. Both breasts always letdown, however. I've always thought it was strange.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel the letdown stronger in the unused breast as well. They both have it though, always. Decrease or eliminate the blocks if your supplybstarts to regulate. Block feeding decreases supply so you don't want to overdo it.

To have a faster letdown (as in sooner, not stronger) breathe deeply, be very calm, don't think about it. When I have issues with it (anxiety and such) it helps to have smth to read next to me. It takes my mind off of it. Or watch tv, etc.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Some women NEVER feel a letdown. Some woman complain of painful letdown their entire nursing career. Most seem to lose the feeling, or no longer notice it, after a few months. I can't remember when I stopped feeling it but it was after 3 or 4 months. And the shortest time I breastfed was 15 months for my first to the longest of 39 months with my youngest. So everything was working fine despite not "feeling" that letdown sensation.
amc103
by Alli on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Its good to know it varies so widely. :-) Yeah, when I do feel the letdown, its super painful, so i dont mind not feeling it at all, I just wanted to be sure Nathan was getting milk. :-) I hope it goes away like yours did! WOW! 39 months! WOOOO! You go girl! thats wonderful. I wish I could say that! Im about to get to the 2 month point and Im feeling good about that! LOL! :-) Its one month more than I did with my first. :-)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Some women NEVER feel a letdown. Some woman complain of painful letdown their entire nursing career. Most seem to lose the feeling, or no longer notice it, after a few months. I can't remember when I stopped feeling it but it was after 3 or 4 months. And the shortest time I breastfed was 15 months for my first to the longest of 39 months with my youngest. So everything was working fine despite not "feeling" that letdown sensation.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I HATED the letdown sensation. For me it prickled in my breasts and armpits. I had to brace myself for it. (The two babies in between the two I already mentioned each nursed to 24 months, so each was an improvement on the one before. ;-)

Quoting amc103:

Its good to know it varies so widely. :-) Yeah, when I do feel the letdown, its super painful, so i dont mind not feeling it at all, I just wanted to be sure Nathan was getting milk. :-) I hope it goes away like yours did! WOW! 39 months! WOOOO! You go girl! thats wonderful. I wish I could say that! Im about to get to the 2 month point and Im feeling good about that! LOL! :-) Its one month more than I did with my first. :-)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM

THat's awesome! (the duration of your nursing career, not the prickly letdown sensation, lol!) Way to go! Now that Im doing it, I know that its a huge accomplishment! :-) You're my hero! :-)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I HATED the letdown sensation. For me it prickled in my breasts and armpits. I had to brace myself for it. (The two babies in between the two I already mentioned each nursed to 24 months, so each was an improvement on the one before. ;-)

Quoting amc103:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN