Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not superwoman

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:37 AM
  • 16 Replies
3 moms liked this

I am not superwoman. Really, I was going to comment on the post about "women should breastfeed not use WIC formula" post but well why waste using it there how about here where I realized I wanted to share something.
But really four years ago June I delivered my son and started pumping asap. He was a 32weeker so he was in the NICU with a feeding tube. I pumped after I had a c-section, I pumped after I had a blood clot in my lung, I pumped on blood thinners, I pumped on pain killers, I pumped after my c section split opened, I pumped after I stopped hemorrhaging from a blood clot bursting behind my incision. I pumped every two hows around the clock for six weeks. After six weeks of Ds not latching on, having to see a doctor every two to five days, and after having to move, I just couldn't keep up with lifes streses and making sure Ds got what was best.

This made me feel guilty. I know I did everything possible for my frame of mind at the time. I know I'm not superwoman but back then I thought I could do it all. Now I look back and realize I was so stupid, not because I didn't do what was best but because I drained myself so much I felt guilty over something so silly. I know to some its not but with all that going on do you think you could have done it? I had no car at the time so I took a two hour bus ride just to see the Dr.

Now I see I did do right by Ds I gave him the best six weeks of milk and colostrum on the planet. And for that I am proud to say I am a milk busting superwoman. And an awesome mom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:42 AM
I think that DID make you Superwoman! You are persistent and tried your hardest to nurse, EPing is HARD and you did it for 6 weeks! Jusr what a premie needs! Don't sell yourself short. You did a damn fine job!

Hugs!
Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you, it took me fours to not feel guilty over letting go of the fact I couldn't nurse Ds longer. But he has never had an ear infection, hardly gets sick, and besides a problem he was born with he is healthy.

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

I think that DID make you Superwoman! You are persistent and tried your hardest to nurse, EPing is HARD and you did it for 6 weeks! Jusr what a premie needs! Don't sell yourself short. You did a damn fine job!

Hugs!

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:16 AM

I think what you did was amazing!!! Good for you to work so hard to give him as much colostrum and milk as you could. I couldn't imagine going through those physical hurdles and still pumping every 2 hours. You gave him a great start in life!!

Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Thank you

Quoting littlelambe2:

I think what you did was amazing!!! Good for you to work so hard to give him as much colostrum and milk as you could. I couldn't imagine going through those physical hurdles and still pumping every 2 hours. You gave him a great start in life!!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

You did an amazing job!  My story with my first DS is similar, though I wasn't recovering from a c-section.  I EP'd and tried my darndest to get him latching and breastfeeding but his oral issues that were diagnosed by our speech therapist much later on got in the way.  I slowly weaned off of the pump after 6 weeks and my milk lasted until about 10.5 weeks (he just couldn't keep my supply up enough with nursing) and then he was fully on formula.  It took me a very long time to let go of the guilt, even with my mom and sister saying that I had done so much more than they could have imagined themselves doing (and both of them ebf'd).  I think it was sometime after we started speech and after I was able to successfully nurse his little brother that I finally let it all go.

You did wonderfully, Mama.  Just ONE DROP made you a success and your baby got much much more than that.

HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM

No, I don't think I could have done all that.  My abilities not withstanding, I think you are a SuperWoman and a SuperMom!!!  I agree that you did best by him, including by deciding when it was time to stop!  I had to make the same difficult decision way earlier than I wanted to (twice) and I felt guilty about it too.  I, as you said, see now that I did what was best for my babies.

(((hugs)))

trendy2
Seriously starting to wonder if I shouldn't evaluate some long overdue friendships. I don't always agree with everyone's lifestyle but I don't shut them out. I've learned to watch what you say or you may eat crow.
Yesterday at 2:49 PM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
You did awesome. Great job momma ! I'm impressed.
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Great job!!!  Don't think I could have done it.

kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
To be honest, I don't know if I could have done such a good job. I don't like bottlefeeding because I'm lazy and it's zero work/effort for me to breastfeed. LOL
Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM
It was not something i wanted to do or had ever planned. But i did my best.

Quoting kajira:

To be honest, I don't know if I could have done such a good job. I don't like bottlefeeding because I'm lazy and it's zero work/effort for me to breastfeed. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)