Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weaning

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 37 Replies

hi all

it is the first day of weaning my 17month daughter off the boob, so far she only had it once, she asks for milk but has it in a sippy cup, she dont say booby now, will keep u all up to date

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you going cold turkey? Best and safest way is to get rid of one feeding per week until all are gone. It's meant to be slow for your health. Good luck though.

BabyFruit Ticker

SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Agree with above.  Did you already night wean?

avfcgal
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM

i cutting down, to only one a day, until she dont want it at all, hhv sed the breast milk makes them put loads a weight on, and she is biting me, so decided to stop

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting avfcgal:

i cutting down, to only one a day, until she dont want it at all, hhv sed the breast milk makes them put loads a weight on, and she is biting me, so decided to stop

Bm does not make them put on a lot of weight. It is the perfect nutrition for them, and is the best thing for them nutrition wise. Junk food and cows milk make them gain the weight.

For the biting, start doing nursing manners.
avfcgal
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

my daughter wanted bm all the time she dont eat alot wen she does have solids, and hv sed she overweight

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Quoting avfcgal:

my daughter wanted bm all the time she dont eat alot wen she does have solids, and hv sed she overweight

Toddlers are very picky beings. They can survive on "an occasion chicken nugget and air" as the saying goes. Bm fills in the nutritional gaps that she doesn't get through solids.

Why do you think she is over weight? How much does she weigh? And how tall is she?
avfcgal
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

she is off the book (red book), she is on the 75centile in height

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Quoting avfcgal:

she is off the book (red book), she is on the 75centile in height

What are the numbers? Just because they are off the charts doesn't mean they are over weight. Also as toddlers get more active, they will slim down. My ods was 95% in height and weight until he was 3, but he wasn't overweight. He slimmed down a lot the more active he got.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like hour HHV is not well educated about breastfeeding. The World Health Organization recommends nursing until at least age two; it is always beneficial to the child. There are ways to teach nurslings to stop biting. Kellymom.com has excellent articles on this and more. Please look at them and weigh against the advice you're getting from the HHV.
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

So you're weaning her from your breast milk because you've been told she's overweight and you're putting her on breast milk made to make an animal hundreds of lbs in months? It's ultimately your decision but it isn't safe for YOU to go so quickly. As for the biting you treat it the same as any other undesirable behavior, you teach her not to do it. If she were biting her friend would you just remove the friend or teach her not to do it?  

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)