Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pump question

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have to pump at work three times a day. Do you think I could get away with buying the medela swing since I only pump one side at a time? I have to do compressions while pumping to get a decent output. Thanks for the help.
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessihernandez
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Sorry I didn't include much detail before. I'm writing on my breaks at work. I should mention that I have been using a double electric pump from wic, but they denied my renewal today and took my pump, so I am scrambling to get a pump by tomorow since my hand pump is not going to cut it. Thanks again for any help
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM
2 moms liked this

You could still use a double by using a pumping bra.  I cut two holes in an old sports bra : ) 

jessihernandez
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, I'm sure I could, but I'm not sure that I would I'm comfortable pumping one side at a time.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I'd get a Lansinoh Affinity double electric from target.  It's an excellent closed-system pump for under $120.  The Swing is $170, an open system, and not as high quality as the lansinoh (which is a rebranded ameda purely yours--one of the top pumps on the market).

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
have the lansinoh affinity. I loved it until a few weeks ago when my son broke it:(
I use a crappy strapless bra I found at my parents' house as a pumping bra. I took out the pads and cut holes in it. You can still pump one side at a time. The thing that attaches the tubes to the pump mechanism has a plug thingy so you can plug the hole that you don't have a tube attached to if you want to use one side. I used to do that a lot because my right lets down a lot faster than my left and it got uncomfortable doing them both at the same time.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Quoting K8wizzo:

I'd get a Lansinoh Affinity double electric from target.  It's an excellent closed-system pump for under $120.  The Swing is $170, an open system, and not as high quality as the lansinoh (which is a rebranded ameda purely yours--one of the top pumps on the market).

Agreed! For the price you'd pay for the swing you can get a better, stonger, double electic like the Lansinoh Affinity.

SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Just to add - I have the affinity and love it (as much as one can love a pump lol). 

MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM

You will save so much time once you learn to pump both at same time.   It takes practice but it is fab.  Get a double if you plan on pumping a lot.  :)

MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM

So much for wic being for women infants and children.  Why did they take the pump? That is just lame.   

Quoting jessihernandez:

Sorry I didn't include much detail before. I'm writing on my breaks at work. I should mention that I have been using a double electric pump from wic, but they denied my renewal today and took my pump, so I am scrambling to get a pump by tomorow since my hand pump is not going to cut it. Thanks again for any help

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I agree too!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Agreed! For the price you'd pay for the swing you can get a better, stonger, double electic like the Lansinoh Affinity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)