Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

vaginal infection ... tmi vent

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM
  • 8 Replies
I went to the dr to get checked for painful ovulation and got tests done,including a pap. Today the nursed called me to tell me i have a vaginal infection and i need to take antibiotics for 5 days but,that i would have too stop breastfeeding but i should pump and dump. And after im done with the antibiotics i have too wait 24 hrs after the last dose to be able to nurse again so a whole wk without nursing. Im upset and discouraged right now i dont think im going to take the antibiotics. My son is not close to weaning and im not going to torture him or deal with his crying cause i have an infection. I guess i'll just deal with the infection and keep nursing my son ... Im soo sad

Vent over
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM

What med is it?  Most of the time that is not the case.  I'll look it up for you right now.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM

You can take a lot of antibiotics and nurse, the doctor told me the same thing but I guess that's just their go-to answer. Check lactmed to be sure.

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I've had extremely good luck using Borax capsules in treating my female "issues."  Are antibiotics the only option?

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Agree with alternatives. If it is bacterial vaginosus, that means your bacteria are out of balance. This can be adjusted without antibiotics as a first choice. Google home remedies for it and there are many choices including a simple acidophilus tablet inserted in the vagina.

I'm not sure what you have but that is the most common.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I've had extremely good luck using Borax capsules in treating my female "issues."  Are antibiotics the only option?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Drs know NOTHING about breastfeeding and meds (almost none at least). Yeast infection meds are perfectly fine to take while still nursing. Just take a probiotic 2 hours after taking the antibiotics so neither of you get thrush.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I have dealt with BV and yeast infections since I have been nursing. There are some really good home remedies that have worked long term for me. I have been plagued with them since I was ten weeks pregnant. while pregnant I did the vaginal creams but it always reappeared a week after treatment. if you tell us what kind of infection it is and what med we can help!
McM0609
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Dang it, i forgot what she said i have and the name of anitibiotic. But she did say it was an infection and its not a yeast infection.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM
It's probably bacterial vaginosis. Look up home remedies. They're usually very simple.

Quoting McM0609:

Dang it, i forgot what she said i have and the name of anitibiotic. But she did say it was an infection and its not a yeast infection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)